Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Planning a 2-week roadtrip (Seattle-SF)

Hello everyone again,

After having a blast in the mythical Far-West (SF>Vegas>SLC) 2.5 years ago, I decided to take my parents to the US, since they have never travelled that far... So it will be the 4 of us, this time, plus my 2-year old daughter... We had a long debate to determine whether we should go for an Eastern trip (Boston-NYC-Niagara Falls-Vancouver), a Southern trip (Louisiana-Florida) or a Western trip. And I guess we will go for the last one. The trip will take place mid-September. I was thinking of going from Seattle to SF, but I was just wondering whether we should also think about Salt Lake City>Seattle, which could include Yellowstone (?)... Any advice on this matter?

Thank you so much for your (preliminary help).

Here is a link to our first trip thread.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 04-30-2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Added link to first trip.

Default Covering all options as a group.

Hello and welcome back to the forums !

I think that you should discuss all your options as a group and see what ideas you agree on and build the trip from there. Sit down with a good map and use the resources of the RTA pages and when you start developing an itinerary based on what you are all happy with we can help to 'fine tune' the trip again. You could do a loop to include SLC and Yellowstone in a 2 week period but will obviously mean more time in the car. If you wanted to do so, I would head to Yellowstone first and then South, winter can come early to Yellowstone.

Good to see you back, enjoy the planning !

[You may have noticed but I have put a link to your original thread and deleted your other post.

I think a great option would be to cover the states of Washington, Idaho, Montana,
    Wyoming and Oregon (or some portion of these states). It's a lot to cover, but you would
    see some of the landmark parks in the U.S.

* Glacier National Park
    * Yellowstone/Grand Tetons
    * Crater Lake
    * Olympic National Park
    * Mt. Rainier

Just a suggestion.

Alvin

Thanks for your answers.

How about:
    1) Seattle
    2) Olympic Ntl Park
    3) Mount Rainier
    4) Glacier Ntl Park (not sure I can include it)
    5) Yellowstone
    6) Salt Lake City

I think including Crater Lake would be too big of a loop. I'm still a bit worried about traveling with a 2-year-old...

It depends exactly when in mid-September the trip is - the Going-to-the-Sun Road through Glacier closes right around that time. If it's going to be closed, going to Glacier may not be worth it on a time crunch. Mid-September is one of the best times to visit Yellowstone - the summer crowds are pretty much gone and most facilities are still open.

I think an efficient loop would be Seattle - Rainier - Yellowstone - SLC - Crater Lake - Olympic - Seattle. If you need to cut anything off, cut off SLC.

I was actually thinking of starting in Seattle, and ending the trip in SLC (nor for SLC itself, but it would mean less mileage and leave us more time on the way...). So that would mean more or less the loop you mention, without the return trip to Seattle through Crater Lake...

I guess we could arrive around the 10th in Seattle, that would mean getting to Yellowstone around the 20th? Depending on time, Glacier would be included before that, but when does the road close, usually?

According to the nps.gov site, it is scheduled to close on September 18th this year.

Wooooooh! So we'll really have to update our itinerary minute by minute, then... I like that! :-)

Anyway, I have to start with the flights. So would you guys confirm that we'd better stick to a Seattle>Yellowstone>SLC kind of trip than a "coast" trip between Seattle and San Francisco (cuz that's basically the two options we thought of so far...)

Hi everyone,

OK, so now we have the airplane tickets. We'll be arriving in Seattle and taking off SLC. So obviously, we're heading for the initial itinerary I'd thought of: 1) Seattle, 2) Olympic Ntl Park, 3) Mount Rainier, 4) Glacier Ntl Park, 5) Yellowstone, 6) Salt Lake City...

Now, I'm wondering whether we should rather stick to this or include Vancouver and a bit of Canada in our trip. Of course, in 2 weeks time, that would imply skipping the area around Seattle to save some time for Yellowstone. But is it worth the drive? Are there any good things to do between Vancouver and Yellowstone? Through Calgary, maybe?

Any advice?

Almost there!!!

Here is my provisional plan:
    http://maps.google.fr/maps/ms?msid=2...39103,4.163818

D1: Arrival in Seattle
    D2: Seattle
    D3: Seattle->Mt Rainier NP (night in Greenwater? Ashford? Paradise?)
    D4: Mt Rainier->Spokane?/Coeur d'Alene? (night)
    D5: Coeur d'Alene, Nez Perces NHP->Riggins (night)
    D6: Hell's Canyon->Boise (night)
    D7: Boise, Bruneau Dunes SP->Ketchum/Sun Valley? (night)
    D8: Craters of the Moon->Ashton (night)
    D9: Yellowstone (night in Yellowstone? or in Cody?)
    D10: Cody->Bighorn (night back in Cody? or Levell?)
    D11: ?
    D12: Yellowstone
    D13: Yellowstone
    D14: ->Salt Lake City (Antelope Island?)
    D15: Salt Lake City->Departure

I still have a few "black holes", as you see... Yellowstone is so big, I still don't know how to approach this part of the trip. But concerning the whole thing, any advice on places we should discard, or shouldn't miss on the road? Any advice on where to stop for the night (we'll be 4 adults+1 child)? Are there stops that we should book in advance (nights)?

Thank you all again!