Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Las Vegas to Zion is about a 3 hour drive. I recommend a stay in Springfield.
    Some good detailed advice from 'Cantravel', but just for clarity [and any map searching] I think you are referring to 'Springdale UT'.

Yes, it is Springdale Utah - a quaint town just outside the Zion park entrance.
    Thanks Southwest Dave!

I hate to say it but plan a lot less time at the grand canyon. Its amazing in its size, but not all that spectacular. Mt Zion and Bryce Canyon is worth a lot more time and the scenic views to them are just as great.

We stayed in kanab when we took our trip... its a good launching area and somewhat cheap. We pricelined a hotel there for 60 dollars.

Default Preferences

Quote Originally Posted by pentab5 View Post
    I hate to say it but plan a lot less time at the grand canyon. Its amazing in its size, but not all that spectacular.
    That is the eternal problem, with giving roadtripping advice... trying to stay objective. Many would argue with you that a week is not enough at the GC, others drive through and have had their fill.

As for me, I have been there four times, and cannot wait to get back. That is not to downgrade Zion and Bryce and all the other NPs. They all have their own attractions, are all spectacular in their own way, and we are all attracted to them in different ways.

Lifey

I hate to say it but plan a lot less time at the grand canyon. Its amazing in its size, but not all that spectacular.
    This is the reason that when people ask for the 'best' route, or a 'must see' we tell them that it is a very individual thing and they need to decide for themselves based on their interests. You will find it to be a common theme as you look around the forums. I respect your opinion and I have heard the GC described as "just a hole in the ground" before now, but I can't begin to comprehend how this natural wonder of the world can be seen as "not all that spectacular" or "just a hole in the ground". I would certainly say [like many other NP's] that Zion and Bryce are just as spectacular, in there own unique way.

I have to agree with Dave and Lifey, that I personally wonder how people can miss out on the spectacular nature of the Grand Canyon.

The biggest thing to me is the size - but not just how deep it is, but how much it changes depending upon where you are looking at it from. What you see from one viewpoint to the next can be completely different, and even hiking down just a little ways into the canyon gives even more unique views. In fact, I think one of the only ways you wouldn't find the Grand Canyon to be so spectacular is if you just peaked over the rim, saw a hole in the ground, and moved on without spending the time needed to fully take in the amazing size of this wonder.

I'll tell you my last trip there, I planned to spend most of the day, but not all of it, at the Canyon, and in the end, I spent all day there and still didn't get to see nearly as much as I would have liked.

And that's not to say that Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park aren't amazing places, because they are, and as Dave mentioned, its not to say that anyone is ever wrong for having different preferences - that is the beauty of the roadtrip afterall.

I agree everyone will find different things that will interest them. My wife and I had spent the previous three days going through the NP's in Utah before arriving at the GC and feel that each one of those had more to offer than the previous one.

Maybe it was the amount of people there compared to the other parks, but the GC wasn't as great as we thought it would be. I would never say skip it, it is a must see if you are there and they do have some great native american exhibits. For me, I would spend a lot more time in Utah. Arches and Canyonland were spectactular at sunset and canyonland was deserted and it was peaceful to be in the beauty and solitude of nature.

Default One October I spent a month in the Grand

The Grand is a special place to me. I spent nearly a month with a friend hiking and exploring there, who later died in an unfortunate way and my memories of this place are colored by those experiences. I've had many amazing experiences there. You do need to get out of the parking lot...Although the view from the parking lots is pretty dang great.

Mark

I recently drove from Kanab to Zion and onto Las Vegas, and I felt I didn't have nearly as much time in Zion as I'd wished. Years ago a friend and I hiked up the Narrows, and I'd have loved to have had the time to do it again. In September the water level would be down to a comfortable level, also.

"day 8 (Sep 12): going to Mammoth lakes, Mono lake. Not sure regarding overnight place, maybe Mono city, CA. Any suggestions?
    day 9 (Sep 13): early in the morning going to Yosemite NP, spend our time there and than going to Jamestown,CA via Tiogga Pass."

It will probably be easiest for you to find lodging in Mammoth lakes, but you can try lee Vining, also.
    On day 9 you also may find more lodging options in Sonora (a short drive from Jamestown). Sonora is a larger town, and I can highly recommend the Gunn House for lodging (currently $79 to $115 per night). If you had more time I'd recommend stopping by Columbia State Historic Park to see a Gold Rush town that has been well preserved since the fire of 1857.

Quote Originally Posted by shirohniichan View Post
    On day 9 you also may find more lodging options in Sonora (a short drive from Jamestown). Sonora is a larger town, and I can highly recommend the Gunn House for lodging (currently $79 to $115 per night). If you had more time I'd recommend stopping by Columbia State Historic Park to see a Gold Rush town that has been well preserved since the fire of 1857.
    Yes, indeed, I'll take a look at the Sonora choice, which is a bigger town. And that Columbia State park looks very tempting, but like always time will be my restricting factor.
    Also, are there any big differences between Tioga pass and Sonora pass? I know that Sonora pass is lower in elevation than Tioga pass, but is it less scenic drive? Maybe less crowded?

I know that there are annual passes for all national parks, is it legal to buy it not from authorities, but let's say already "used" pass, where you can just insert your name there and use it again (within the period of 1 year)? That way you can save some of your budget, right?