1. Default US 101 scenic (?) and scenic journey from LA to SD

Hello there!

I will be making the journey down to Los Angeles / San Diego with the first stage being Silicon Valley->Camarillo, CA (just outside of LA) this friday. (last minute change of plans because of the impassable highway 1 via Big Sur!)

I am not familiar with the CA roads and scenic routes yet, so could anyone please enlighten me on the below:

1) Is there anything to see or any places worthwhile stopping from Silicon Valley -> Camarillo, CA using the US 101 as I venture South on Day 1?

2) I heard the journey from LA area to SD can be very scenic too, via Pacific Coastal Highway - so my question should I just stay on Highway 1 throughout this journey? or should I use some interstate/expressways in between to speed things up since it's unlikely every section is worthwhile driving through and I would not want to spend 6 hrs just getting from LA to SD.

3) Could anyone suggest any stops from LA to SD scenic route? Based on what I learn so far, these are the places I should consider --- Malibu, Santa Monica, Corona del Mar/Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Carlsbad, and La Jolla. Any other tips are most welcome.

thanks!!

Welcome!

I would take at least 2 days to go from SF to LA. Go over to the coast on whatever is convenient - CA-17 to Santa Cruz is a very good option. From there, take CA-1 to Monterey and Carmel. From there, take CA-68 to Salinas and pick up US-101. Just past Paso Robles, you can optionally take CA-46 to Cambria and resume your southward journey on CA-1. If you only have one day for this leg, take US-101 all the way.

Now - from LA to SD, the coast highway is very slow and congested, it goes through beach town after beach town. That WOULD be an all-day drive, plan that selectively. You also HAVE to take I-5 between San Clemente and Oceanside, that's Camp Pendleton and there is no beach road or public access off the highway.

Default In the Absence of the PCH

There are actually a few good scenic options that can be substituted for the Pacific Coast Highway during its closure. By all means, visit Monterey and Carmel (north of the closure) if you have not already done so. Some highlights would be the beaches, Seventeen Mile Drive, the Aquarium and Mission San Carlos Borromeodel Rio Carmelo. Then an excellent scenic drive inland to US-101 is county route G-18 through Carmel Valley to Greenfield and the nearby Pinnacles National Monument. You can get a little more coast by staying on US-101 down through Gaviota State Park and then on through Santa Barbara and Ventura and then finally using CA-1 through Malibu and into L.A.

As glc noted, the oceanside roads between L.A. and S.D. are wall-to-wall beach town with one exception - the Marine base Camp Pendleton - where you will not be able to stop. So just hop on I-5 and make the drive and spend the time enjoying San Diego instead.

AZBuck

Once you get to SD, you can see a lot of scenery and beaches as day drips.

Buck, you mean G-16, don't you?

If you want to brave the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road to get back to 101, I believe you CAN get through to Big Sur on CA-1. The Rocky Creek slide area appears to be open to 1 way controlled traffic.

Default Fat Fingers

Yep, the route from Carmel through Carmel Valley to Greenfield is G-16, or Carmel Valley Road.

AZBuck

6. Default

thanks all!

There's always Solvang, a little piece of Denmark Kitsch in California.