1. Default Rocky Mountains Here I come!

I am from the Seattle area in Washington state and want to take a "Rocky Mountain" road trip starting end of June. I envision stopping by creeks/rivers, dipping my toes in the water and to do a lot of reading, photography and a little writing. I have 10-20 days and I will be going by myself. Not really looking to do much "touristy" stuff, but more for the scenery and peacefulness of nature. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Default Plenty of places for that

Hello QT,

So, are you camping, motels, resorts, etc in terms of your overnighting plans?

The reason I ask is that there are simply innumerable places to drive along streamside and spend idle hours messing around on and in the water. I suggest you make yourself familiar with the National Forests in MT, WY, ID, and CO. You'll find millions upon millions of acres of forested mountain land with a gravel road along most every large drainage. These drainages make up a network of not only navigable roads for most every conventional auto, but also connect a network of campgrounds, picnic grounds, and dedicated recreation areas such as lakes and ponds.

I'd spend some time on the National Forest websites and with a good, recently published highway atlas and just see what looks good. I am fairly familiar with some of the NFs in WY and particularly in MT, so if you develop specific questions, fire away.

Have fun planning and taking your RoadTrip!

3. Default

Thanks for your input! I will be staying in my car and tent (depends if I feel like setting it up that night:) I have a navigation in my acura, so is a road map still necessary? Also, do the national parks require you pay a fee for just day use? And, would you recommend staying at truck stops by myself in a car? My dad tries to warn they are dangerous, but I have also heard the opposite.

4. Default

oh yeah!... What is the weather like in late May/ early July in MT? ID? I know CO and WY is pretty hot. Thanks:)

Default A "hot button issue" of sorts........ reliance solely on a GPS/Nav system.

Partly because I'm "old school" and partly because I am prone to going out of sight of land in the ocean and WAY off the beaten track on land, I would never venture forth with a GPS as my sole navigation aid. In my humble opinion, there is no complete substitute for a map and the ability to read it. GPS units fail, as do their power supplies (batteries), and there are isolated but real failures in the satellite broadcasts themselves.

Besides, I can't get comfortable with the "big picture" of overall trip planning or even planning a day's driving segment without looking at a map. At least with my Garmin Nuvi, once I start zooming out, I lose all detail, even some highway route numbers. I just find it easier to plan and look ahead, and daydream, for that matter, with a map.

I had thought that all National Parks charged entrance fees even for day use, but was recently corrected in that the Great Smoky Mountains NP here in North Carolina doesn't. Every NP I've been to in the Rockies does, however. If you expect to visit 3 or 4, you might want to look in to the Annual Pass, which you can purchase at the first NP you visit. It's good for a year and gives you entrance plus, a group of passengers in your car, for any NP or National Monument which charges entrance fees, for a year.

One of the RTA regulars, known as Lifemagician, routinely travels solo, sleeping in her car at truck stops. Search up some of her posts and I think you'll see she has little worry about doing so. I've never done it, and I wonder if my very light sleeping would square with being in a well-lit parking area with diesel engines all around me idling all night. That's got nothing to do with safety, however. I drive a diesel pickup so I end up at truck stops regularly. I've never felt unsafe at one at any hour of the day or night. This is particularly so of the truck stops, now known as Travel Plazas, mind you, out West. They are veritable oases of calm and security from what I can see.

There are no generalities which I agree with concerning weather in MT, ID, WY, and CO. It's all related to elevation. In the 3,000-4,000' range, sure it can be hot during the day but nice at night. From 4,000' to 5,000', rather less hot during the day and very nice at night. Above 5,000' it's likely to be very cool to cold at night and very nice during the day. Plus, more often than not, it's dry, so even temps in the upper 80s to low 90s aren't uncomfortable, particularly for we on the "Wet Coasts" where humidity can be stifling.

Hope this helps.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Truck Stops

If you are proposing to sleep at truck stops, I highly recommend that you get the Trucker's Friend. This publication lists all the truck stops and travel plazas which set aside a section of the parking area for RVs and other campers.

These truck stops are all 24 hour establishments, well lit and secure, with people coming and going all night. The area is normaly nowhere near the trucks themselves, and I have never heard them while parked at these places. As for the light, either have some window covering on all your windows, or if you are lucky enough to be able to park between two large RVs, they will keep out the light.

It is always a good idea to let the checkout know that you will be parking overnight. And be sure you give them some of your custom, be it filling up with fuel, eating in their restaurant, having a shower, or whatever.

Having said all that, make sure your vehicle is suitable to get a good night's sleep. Sitting up in a sedan, even with the seat back, or trying to sleep on the back seat, will not give you enough rest to be an alert driver the next day. In my case, it was an SUV with seats removed, replaced with mattress, pillow, sleeping bag, etc.

Lifey who will be doing it again

Ft. Collins, CO.

I've been snowed out of Rocky Mountain National Park (Colo.) in JULY.
    I've been snowed on several inches along the Madison River in Montana in late June.
    Be prepared for all kinds of weather.

(Bring mosquito repellent too - you can't really sit still along the stream when the skeeters are thick unless you have long sleeves and repellent. )