Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Summer trip West US: SF-YOS-Z-B-GC-MV-BS-SF, last pieces Lake Havasu or alternatives?

Hi,
    We are a Dutch family with 2 children age 5 and 7. Our travel plan is already quite detailed, I have read with great interest many of the posts and used that to some extend. Many thanks to all of you who have contributed. These are amazing sources of information!!

We will in 20 days be cruising in a 28' RV quite a number of the parks. Our iternary for now is:
    RV day Target "Duration (hour, minutes) google maps" Details Comments
    1 Travel Shuttle Road Bear Hayward 2.45 "Yosemite lakes
    2 Yosemite
    3 Yosemite 1.16 Bridal Veil creek First come first serve
    4 Kings Canyon 3.13 "Fire Permit: Grant Cove visitor center
    Try camping: Crystal Springs" "Free camping
    First come, first serve"
    5 Sequoia 3-5 hr depends route
    Travel to Isabella Lake Hungry Gulch
    6 Isabella Lake
    7 Travel to Las Vegas 5.00
    8 Zion 2.56 Watchman Campground, avoid Zion Canyon campground (dirty) 2 first come first serve
    9 Bryce 2.33 Ruby's Inn
    10 Grand Canyon 3.27 North Rim Campground
    11 Glen Canyon recreation area 2.32 Wahweap
    12 Monument Valley 2.26 Mitten camping? " visit 11.30 Antelope canyon first
    First come first serve"
    13 Travel to Lake Havasu 7.27 ?
    14 Lake Havasu
    15 Malibu 5.45 Leo Carillo
    16 Montana de Oro 3.13 Montana de Oro
    17 Big Sur Kirk Creek 1.44 Kirk Creek Campground
    18 Riverside 0.37 Riverside Campground
    19 Carmel/Monterey 0.39 Veterans Memorial Park Campground First come, first serve
    20 Back to RV Hayward San Francisco 1.45

Allthough this looks very complete I have some questions. I am really looking for the must do's or must see's in the parks but maintain the balance with 2 young kids. They will find getting in and out of the RV quite annoying after some times. I am looking for some nice hikes, kids must see's and experiences with that from other travellers in the parks. We are living in Norway so some terrain hiking is ok for say 2 hours (3 including some larger breaks).

In terms of campgrounds, most are booked but I have difficulty in finding a place in Zion to book, no reactions from certain campgrounds. What are your recommendations and how easy is it to get the first come first serve places?

My other issue is, we want to give the children some time to play near water so we have planned a stop at Lake Isabella and to cut the roadtrip back to the coast we are thinking on a 2 day stay in Lake Havasu (open for suggestion of campgrounds). But I am wondering, is it worth to stay there for 2 nights in the middle of summer? Is it potentially way to hot for children to be on the beach? So would maybe a 2 day stay near Page be better instead of 1? Is it actually allowed to camp at any spot near Glen Canyon area or does this have to be at designated areas? Another option would be cut the trip back from Monument Valley to Malibu from 1 spot with 2 nights to 2 stops with both 1 night. But where then?

We are looking forward to exploring the US and appreciate all your tips!!!! Would be great if you can say which roads are must haves and which to avoid with RV's.

Takk skal du har!!! Sjoerd and Marije

Welcome!

Something you need to consider - Google drive times are at the automobile speed limit with absolutely no delays or stops whatsoever. If you are driving a RV, you need to add 25% to them!

Default For the Children

Velkommen! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Your two children are in for a treat. I think you've done a fantastic job setting up a great adventure for them, and you needn't worry too much about their getting bored. A couple of hints: First, be sure to check in at each park entrance, ranger station, or visitor center and get them the age appropriate Junior Ranger material. there are also similar programs at some state parks. You can also probably save yourselves some money, if you plan to visit more than four National Parks, by getting a National Parks Pass which is good entry to most parks for everybody in your group for a year. It does not, however, cover camping and other special use fees.

As for some time on the water, I think you'd do well at Lake Mead National Recreation Area or similar parks that are set up for parking your RV near the water to provide your own shade and cooling if needed.

Ingen årsak, also, bare hyggelig.

AZBuck

Thanks!
    I am aware of the driving times, I use them only as a minimum indicators, usually it takes 1.5 times longer including comfort breaks and sightseeing.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Your two children are in for a treat. A couple of hints: First, be sure to check in at each park entrance, ranger station, or visitor center and get them the age appropriate Junior Ranger material. there are also similar programs at some state parks.
    Thanks, as it is a family holiday we all need to have a great time!! Will check out the ranger programmes, pass was on the to buy list already :-). Have checked but can not buy them online from outside US, Canada. Do you know of any good hikes that are a must do and doable with children in Yosemite, Zion, Bryce and Grand Canyon North Rim?

We were considering Lake Mead to as well but decided that the glitter of Vegas and the Shark Reef in Mandalay Bay would be good options as well and then stay at Lake Powell (Page), visit Antelope Canyon. Which one is the best, Upper or Lower Canyon? The question I have is, is it better to stay 2 days in Lake Powell or 2 days as a stop at either Lake Havasu or maybe Lake Mead?

The best way to find info for walks etc is to navigate your way to each park using the NPS site here by clicking on the map.

Yosemite valley is a lovely place for walking and you can hop on and off the free shuttle buses between Trailheads or hire bikes and cycle if you wanted to. Definitely take a drive and short walk to Glacier point while there, the view of the valley below and surrounding mountains are truly amazing ! In Zion NP the popular Riverside walk is great for all, it's easy with great views and a possible play in the Virgin river awaits. Emerald pools trail is a nice walk with different levels to choose from, steep in places but not to testing. Weeping rock is a very short walk where you can stand under the rock as the water seeps through, the end of a 1200 year journey ! Bryce canyon has the 'Rim trail' around the Amphitheatre area from Bryce point to Fairyland point it is about 4.5 miles but you can do smaller sections like Sunrise to Sunset point. From 'Sunrise point' you have the popular 'Queens garden' trail. If you drive down the canyon to Rainbow point and want to stop at all the viewpoints that are just a short walk from the car, drive direct to Rainbow point and stop to see the others on the way back up. They will then all be located on your side of the road and you won't have to keep crossing the traffic.

In terms of campgrounds, most are booked but I have difficulty in finding a place in Zion to book
    Have you tried the Zion river resort ? It's a little further from the park than they lead you to believe, [about 20 mins if I remember correctly] but it is a nice small well kept park. Riverside sites are nice and a little roomier than some of the others.

Thanks, I will have a close look at it . It is also when learning the Lonely planet by heart that you do not know whether those hikes will suit us. So feedback and sharing of others experiences is of great value.

I had a look at the River Resort and felt that it was a bit far out. I have read that the shuttle to springdale and into Zion is so convenient and nice and off course the waking up with spectacular view on zion that it almost feels a pity of not staying there. The last reviews of the Ferber Canyon RV park are not too good. Does anyone have some recent experiences? I guess when coming from Vegas that we might be too late for the first come first serve campsite at Watchmen, as I understand from the recreation.gov site that they only have 2 places on those terms or it will be South Campground.

Default Local Intel

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

No one knows the parks better than the rangers. Not Lonely Planet, not us, not anybody. Your best bet to find a hike that is suitable for your skill level(s) is to ask at the park visitor centers. Neither my wife nor I get around as well as we'd like, but we have never been disappointed with the recommendations we've gotten in this manner. There is always something worth seeing no matter how far you feel like hiking at any given stop. Just ask!

They will also know about any and all shuttle services and where there may be camping or lodging. They may be prohibited from suggesting specific commercial services over others, but they will have the best local, and time sensitive, knowledge.

AZBuck

I had a look at the River Resort and felt that it was a bit far out. I have read that the shuttle to springdale and into Zion is so convenient and nice and off course the waking up with spectacular view on zion that it almost feels a pity of not staying there. The last reviews of the Ferber Canyon RV park are not too good. Does anyone have some recent experiences? I guess when coming from Vegas that we might be too late for the first come first serve campsite at Watchmen, as I understand from the recreation.gov site that they only have 2 places on those terms or it will be South Campground
    Springdale is a wonderful town and you can't beat staying in the National park but, [and it's a big BUT] you could find the South Campground full as well. I am not saying that it will be for sure, but Zion is a very popular park, especially in the "middle of summer" and RV options are limited. One of the best advantages of staying in the park[s] is being able to take advantage of the free shuttle bus without the hassle of moving the RV while there and trying to find parking among the crowds.

Can someone tell me whether the offroad road through monument valley natonal park is driveable with a 28' rv? I know offroad is officially out of a rental agreement but is it doable or should we really go on an arranged tour? Any advice on a good tour otherwise for a family wiith small children in the morning?

Default Not a National Park

First off, Monument Valley is not a National Park. It is a Navajo Tribal Park. As such, the roads are probably not maintained as well as those of the better financed national park system. And as with any remote, unpaved road, the actual conditions you encounter are going to depend on how recently the road last saw any "upkeep", what the weather has been like, what other vehicles have used it recently, and a host of other details we have no foreknowledge of. Your best bet is to ask when you get there. Personally, I wouldn't plan on taking an RV behemoth, but would rather travel with one of the local guides in a 4WD vehicle chosen and equipped for that purpose.

AZBuck