Hi there from a Bewildered Brit,
Me and my girlfriend Vic are planning a road trip for the summer after we graduate from University, that's August-September 2012. As you can see, we're planning a LONG way in advance but we're both road-trip newbies so I figured the earlier the better!
We will both be 21 at the time of the road-trip and were planning on renting a car from LA and dropping it off in New Jersey. We plan on taking around a month, starting with a holiday in California, stopping off for a couple of days in Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and Washington DC, and then staying three or so days in New York City (we figure we wont need the car for that bit!)
The questions I've got for you all are these:
- How long do you think we should take for this coast-to-coast trip? We don't want to rush but equally we think five weeks maximum!
- Are we going the right way?! All the road trip guides (Insight Guides, Jamie Jensen etc) do this route the other way, from NY to LA rather than LA to NY. Any views on the merits of either direction would be helpful!
- Any tips for saving on car-rental? I know about the under-25 charge but any tips for general saving would be great!
- Is it worth having the car for our holiday in California? We can't decide if its worth having it for the mobility or trying to save some on the car hire by making it as short as possible.
- Finally, we're both English so we'll be flying each way, when do you think it's best to book flights, as soon as possible or are cheaper opportunities available later on? Flights to LA seem very expensive and again any tips would be appreciated.
So there we are, as you can tell I'm in need of serious help with all this, hopefully all of your joint experience can give me a few pointers!
Thanks to all,