1. Default 1st Time driving in America!! San Fran - Yosemite - Las vegas

My partner and i are flying into Vegas on a friday. Plan to stay there till the Monday and pick the car up monday morning about 10 am. We have then allowed ourselves until Tuesday evening, 7pm ish, to get to Las Vegas. We want to go through Yosemite and see a bit of it (understand with time we will not see much!). Can anyone suggest the way we can get the most out of this trip and recommend anywhere to stay for the night.

2. Default

forgot to mention this will be the beginning of October!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Are you starting in San Francisco or Vegas? I'm assuming you mis-typed when you're talking about both starting and ending in Vegas?

Basically what you'll do is go over Tioga Pass and you should be able to go through Death Valley. With 2 days, you will be able to do this, but your time will be extremely limited. I would recommend that you at the very least try to get on the road earlier than 10am, and plan to be on the road past 7pm to give you as much time as possible on the road.

4. Default

Yes sorry - San Francisco to Las Vegas. Can you possibly suggest somewhere to stay over night? Many thanks.

Your best bet would likely be to stay right in the Yosemite Valley, so you can at least have half a day to explore that area. Mind you, it will be around 3pm when you finally get there if you don't leave until 10am. That's going to set you up for a pretty long day, over Tioga Pass and then to Vegas, where you could probably drive through Death Valley, but won't have much time to stop.

I would head over Tioga Pass and stay somewhere out on highway 395. Your best and most reasonably priced selections will be in Bishop. The next day, you can head for LV through Death Valley.

EDIT: "Fall and Winter" may affect this trip, exactly what dates are you doing this? Tioga Pass may be closed. If so, you will have to go south to Bakersfield to get across the Sierras and Death Valley won't be an option unless you make it as far as Bakersfield the first night. You may also be required to have tire chains to enter Yosemite.
    Last edited by glc; 04-27-2011 at 07:54 AM.

He stated it would be the Beginning of October, so its a pretty safe bet (although not 100%) that Tioga should be open.

If you are up for an early start and the long drive to Vegas next day and your budget can manage a night in the National park, I too would recommend Yosemite valley. The thing to keep in mind is that the sun is setting by 7pm in October so you need to be making your way over Tioga by 5pm the latest to enjoy the views if you go over the pass same day.

I presume that you can't pick up the car the afternoon/evening before, being a Sunday ? Perhaps if you contacted the local office on the Friday you arrive you might be able to arrange an earlier pick up on Monday, but the sooner you are underway the more time you will have to enjoy this awesome trip.

9. Default

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I think we will be getting the car at 9 now and stay in Bishop, then drive through Death valley on to Vegas the next day. Just one other question, i wanted to do the drive in a ford mustang - but do you think we will need a 4x4? Thanks again.

Bishop is quite a big ask if you wanted to see some of Yosemite valley as just driving the loop road can easily take a couple of hours, but it is possible. Lee Vining is the nearest town out the other side of Tioga pass located by Mono lake.

No, I don't think you will need a 4x4. If conditions got to a stage where you would require one to have any chance of crossing the Tioga pass they would have closed the road off anyway, and that is unlikely.