1. Default 1st ever Long Road Trip - LA - Tahoe - Seattle - Oakland and back to LA

Hi,

I'm planning a road trip for the family for the last ten days of December2011. The plan is to be leaving from Los Angeles to Lake Tahoe for some skiing and snowboarding around the dec 22. Stay in Tahoe for two nights. Then head off to Seattle and spend christmas in seattle. Spend about 4 days there with family and friends and then head down to Oakland stay for a night and then back to LA on New Years day.

This will be my first road trip for such long distance any one got any advice as to which route is best to take or whether it is even a good idea for such a long road trip at that time of the year through that area?

Thanks

Mike

Default Doable with tweaks, without disruption ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The journey to and from Seattle are both more than you could do in a day safely, even in good conditions. You could split your journey home into 2 long days but you would be looking to stop around Redding CA. On the way to Seattle I would plan on stopping somewhere between Eugene and Portland and finishing the journey next morning.

It's obviously to early to predict what the weather may or may not be doing and therefor not possible to suggest the 'best route' or what what further delays/disruptions you may face. Interstates are the priority to keep open and traffic moving, but on a long journey over a short period of time you will have to consider that you might not be able to cover the ground as quickly as you hope to.

Welcome!

There is no reason why you shouldn't do that - but you will need to keep abreast of conditions and you will need to carry tire chains. Also, you are trying to cover too much ground if you don't leave till the 22nd and want to spend a couple days in Tahoe and get to Seattle in time for Christmas. You will have to be flexible or leave earlier.

LA to Tahoe is a full day's drive in good weather. My mapping software shows the quickest way, again in good weather, is I-5 to Stockton, then CA-88 over Carson Pass, CA-89 over Luther Pass, then US-50. Both passes are subject to weather closures and chain restrictions. The other options from I-5 are go to Sacramento and take US-50 or I-80.

Another option is take CA-14 from Santa Clarita to US-395, this is the most scenic way. Either way you go, as I said, it's a full day's drive and that's not guaranteed in poor weather.

There is absolutely no safe way you can make it from Tahoe to Seattle in 1 day - this is a 2 day drive. The fastest way is US-50 back to Sacramento, then I-5. US-395 to Susanville, then CA-44 and CA-89 to I-5 is a scenic option.

Seattle to Oakland is another drive that cannot be done safely in one day.

4. Default

thanks for all the advice Dave and glc...

it looks like I got the wrong info about the distance from Tahoe to Seattle. One of the sites I looked at said it was a 10 hr drive at 60 mph. Based on that I figured I get started early morning and with a few pit stops and be in seattle that same night.

Based on the advice here I may have to get a 1 or 2 day head start.

Now if I stretched the trip from Tahoe to Seattle to 2 days drive are there any points of interest to recommend between the two points?

It is difficult to average 60 mph during a full day of travel when you consider the need to stop for food, bathroom breaks, short rests and to fill with gas. It is possible in good conditions but the problem being is that Tahoe to Seattle is more like 750 miles. So to get from Tahoe to Seattle in 10 hours you would need to average around 75mph non stop, which in reality would mean travelling well into triple digit numbers for long periods and probably still wouldn't achieve it. [If you survived!] If you work on 57mph as a steady average you won't go far wrong, providing the weather is 'kind' that is.

It's 850 miles from South Lake Tahoe to Seattle via US-50 and I-5. It's 800 miles via the 395 route I mentioned. US-50 is not an expressway till you get to Placerville. It's more like a 16 hour drive, which is 2 days. You can't figure on 57 mph for this run, US-50 is not particularly fast and Oregon still has a 65 mph speed limit, with lower going over the Siskiyous. It's 500 miles from LA to South Lake Tahoe, and that's close to a 10 hour drive via I-5 and 88 or 50 and a 10+ hour drive via 395. Again, this assumes good weather and no delays.

Seattle to Oakland is 800 miles, about 15 hours. 2 day drive.

I don't think there would be much to see between Tahoe and Seattle that would be feasible with the time constraints and/or accessible in the winter - just enjoy the scenery out the window.

Default Via Klamath falls ?

George.

If conditions permit, is there a reason why the OP couldn't take the Susanville route, but continue through Klamath Falls ? With what you have said above, I wonder if the shorter route of 760 miles from South Lake Tahoe would be an option. To cover that in 16 hours you would 'only' need to average 47mph which I would have thought was doable. [?] That's the route distance I was referring to earlier and seems to be favoured via other mapping programs.

The shorter distance may not balance out the lower speeds - on non-Interstates Oregon is even more ridiculous - 55 mph. There 's also the possible snow issue.