1. Default Help us navigate the back hole between South Dakota and the East Coast

We are driving our daughter's car from Oregon to Western Massachusetts. We drove across the county 35 years ago and took a southern route. This time we want to travel along a northern route We have lots of plans from Oregon to South Dakota and have no idea where to go from there. We like to hike and see historical sites. We have a couple of weeks for the trip and would like to drive 4-8 hours a day. We are flexible about drive times so we can stop in interesting places. Camping a few nights along the way is a possibility. We have no idea about what cool things we should not miss. Any advice would be appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Pennsylvania

Even though I have travelled from Chicago to Boston, and back, many times, it is only Pennsylvania which has caught my interest in this way. Take route 6 from I-90 near West Springfield, all the way to Wyalusing, and then 706 to I-81 north.

As the brochure says, route 6 is not so much a route, as a destination in itself. It will take you through the Allegheny Nat. Rec. Area and Allegheny Reservoir. Further on, take a hike at the site of the Kinzua Bridge ruins, near Lafayette. This magnificent tressle railway bridge, which stood for a century was destroyed by a tornado in 2003.

Further on you have the Susquehannock State Forrest, Tioga State Forest and Colton Pt SP, where you will find the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania. Other smaller SP, SF and Reservoirs abound along this route, which at no time will see you exceeding 60mph.

Depending on your destination in western MA, as to which route will take you on the last leg of your journey.

Lifey who has fond memories of route 6

3. Default Just the kind of info I hoped for

Thanks Lifemagician. You sent just the kind of local information I had hoped for. That will give me something to research and an anchor for part of our trip!. Sueb