1. Default Chicago to New York in Mid-May

Hi all,
    I'm new to the forums. I've been perusing a bit the past few days, and I love the map center. A friend and I are planning to drive to New York in the middle of May to cut back on rising airfare costs. We'll likely leave early on a Sunday morning, stay over at a place about halfway between Chicago and New York, probably near the Ohio/Pennsylvania border, perhaps a couple hours into Pennsylvania. We are looking for a national park or forest along the way that we could stay nearby on Sunday night, and then we plan to get up early on Monday morning, head to the state park, go hiking for a few hours, and then finish off the drive to New York.
    On the way home, we are thinking of taking the highway a bit south that goes closer to Pittsburgh. We're planning the same general schedule.
    I'm looking for one or two places we have to see, both on the way there and the way back, that fit with the general theme of nature, State parks, hiking, etc. Anyone have any suggestions?

Melbourne, Australia

Default A good place to start

Hi and Welcome,

As for places to take a hike, why not check out this thread for a start.

3. Default

As a reader from the Netherlands I've visited this site a lot of times. And finally, i'm able to reply to a request!

Last year I made a road trip from NYC to Chicago with a friend of mine. (Through Cape Cod, Boston, Adirondack Mountains, Niagara Falls, Cleveland, Detroit).

One of the best parts of the trip were the Adirondack Mountains. We stayed in Long Lake, NY, and the place is ideal for hiking and enjoying the nature. It is in a region with large forests, nice lakes and the towns are very scarce. It is a couple of miles of the interstate and of the general route NYC-Chicago, but worth the trouble getting there. I don't know about the weather in mid-may though, we stayed there early june and the weather was OK then.

When travelling this route, you will be able to visit the Niagara Falls as well, they're almost on the route.