Default Florida - Going solo

Hi again,

I'm going over to the shuttle launch next week and will have 3/4 days afterwards in Florida before I fly home.

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas for what to do afterwards, I'll be on my own if that makes a difference.

Not into theme parks so I can rule those out.

Thanks

Cian

The memories come flooding back. Not only of when I went to the shuttle launch, in Aug 2007, but of the trip back to Orlando. From memory, it took many hours to get back on the packed roads. Just to get out of the parking spot along the side of the road, took ages. And I had arrived hours before blast-off! (Of course if you are going to the official launch seating area, you won't need to worry about parking.)

But it was all worth it. :)

You might like to take a trip down to the Everglades. Take a boat trip out of Flamingo. A leisurely drive down to the Keys. And then of course, there is always Miami. Try to stay off I-95 and the other Freeways, and take some of the scenic routes through Florida. Except for Alligator Alley. I have seen alligators there, everytime I have driven it.

And take some bug spray with you. Not sure what it's like in May, but in August you certainly needed it.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 04-23-2011 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    The memories come flooding back. Not only of when I went to the shuttle launch, in Aug 2007, but of the trip back to Orlando. From memory, it took many hours to get back on the packed roads. Just to get out of the parking spot along the side of the road, took ages. And I had arrived hours before blast-off! (Of course if you are going to the official launch seating area, you won't need to worry about parking.)
    Thanks for the reply.

I have a hotel booked in Cocoa Beach so don't have too far to travel after launch. Also have NASA tickets so parking is all good.

I might drive down to the Everglades and have a wander!

I was down for shuttle launch in Nov. 2010, was postponed until February. This happens a lot as much can go wrong in preparing a shuttle, so be aware that this may be a possibility. The Astronaut Hall of Fame is on the way to Cape Canaveral, it is small but wort a visit. There are nice golf courses nearby if that is your thing, and the nearby beaches south of Cocoa are also wonderful. The Everglades are a long way south, so much to see between the two. About 100 miles north is St. Augustine, where I spent a few days years back, with its old forts and other historic sites. Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Phuzzy View Post
    I was down for shuttle launch in Nov. 2010, was postponed until February. This happens a lot as much can go wrong in preparing a shuttle, so be aware that this may be a possibility. The Astronaut Hall of Fame is on the way to Cape Canaveral, it is small but wort a visit. There are nice golf courses nearby if that is your thing, and the nearby beaches south of Cocoa are also wonderful. The Everglades are a long way south, so much to see between the two. About 100 miles north is St. Augustine, where I spent a few days years back, with its old forts and other historic sites. Enjoy
    I was at a launch last May so am versed in the nerve racking lead up to T-0. Well worth it though.

We traveled to St. Augustine after the last launch (on recommendation from RTA users), so might go the opposite way this time. OH said she wouldn't allow me to go there again as she loved it so much and would be jealous.

I'm staying the Cocoa Beach for the days leading up to, and the night after the launch. Looking forward to it.