1. Default LA to New Orleans

I'm looking for some guidance on a 16 day road trip in which I want to do the following:

1. LA - Phoenix (visit parents)
    2. Phoenix - Texas (somewhere)
    3. Texas - New Orleans (main destination)
    4. New Orleans - San Francisco
    5. San Fran - LA (home)

I'm not sure if I can do all this in 16 days and still enjoy myself, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. Obviously, #4 (NO - SF) is poorly planned at this point. But if you could give me some advice on how many days to stay where and what routes in general might be good, I'd appreciate anything you have! thanks.

Tucson, AZ

Default Time is Short

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I can't really tell you how many days to stay where - That's entirely up to you. I can tell you that you'll need about 10 days minimum to complete the drive. So if you want to spend even a couple of days with your parents, then you only have four days to distribute among all the other stops along your trip, including 'Texas', New Orleans and on the way home. As for the drive home, the most 'efficient' route would be to simply retrace your steps. But for a few miles more you can cover entirely new ground by first heading to Dallas, then up to Amarillo and across northern New Mexico and Arizona on I-40. You could then get to San Francisco by heading up through Las Vegas and Death Valley and Crossing the Sierra Nevada on CA-120 through Tioga Pass and Yosemite National Park. But as noted, your time is really pretty short. There will be many more great sites than you will have time for.