1. Default Advice on scenic drives from Port Angeles, WA to Portland, Or

Hello, road trippers!

First time poster, and first time visitor to the Pacific Northwest. I'm looking for advice on a pretty drive from Port Angeles, WA (Olympic National Park) to Portland. I understand that might take most of the day, which is fine if there are place to pull off, walk around, and generally enjoy the scenery. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Default Choose Between 101 and 101

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

From Port Angeles, you have to take US-101. The question is which way? And you have to be careful about the answer. US-101 i9s technically a north-south highway, but in fact at Port Angeles it runs east-west. if you take it west (which should be marked "South") then you will be following the Pacific coast more or less. If you take it east (which should be marked "North") then you will be following the Straight of Juan de Fuca and Puget Sound south(!!) to Olympia and then take I-5 down to Portland. If you're looking for a scenic drive with pullouts along the coast, then you want to go west/south through Forks, Aberdeen, and across the Columbia River to Astoria, and thence up the Columbia on US-30. That will take a full day with time outs for walks at Kalaloch and South Beach in Olympic National Park, and at Willapa National Wildlife Refuge just northeast of Long Beach, WA.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks so much, AZBuck! That is just the kind of slightly confusing directions I was looking for :-)

If you're looking for a scenic drive with pullouts along the coast, then you want to go west/south through Forks, Aberdeen, and across the Columbia River to Astoria, and thence up the Columbia on US-30. That will take a full day with time outs for walks at Kalaloch and South Beach in Olympic National Park, and at Willapa National Wildlife Refuge just northeast of Long Beach, WA.
    I didn't want to start a new thread since this is exactly the route we're taking, so I've piggy-backed here - not sure if it was the proper thing to do? I am having a really hard time trying to find places to stay along the route from Port Angeles down to Portland (west side of peninsula). We wanted to spend at least one night in between not only to break up the drive, but have time to get out of the car and explore. Anyone have any advice? Recommendations? We're not campers, but need a decent, clean, affordable place to sleep. Maybe in/around Forks or a little further south?

For any kind of selection, you would probably have to make it to the Hoquiam/Aberdeen area. That's only 150 miles from Port Angeles and then another 180 miles to Portland via 101 and 26.

In one section of our trip this year, we are driving from Olympia to Forks (staying the night there), then from Forks to Sequim the next day. On the way to Forks we plan on stopping at Ruby Beach, maybe Kalaloch and definitely the Hoh Rain forest, possibly drive out to La Push before going to the hotel.
    What I am looking for are things to do the next day on the way to Sequim. We only have the 1 day and there are SO many things. Should we do Lake Ozette area, Neah Bay/Cape Flattery or Lake Cresent area? My real question is....is it feasible to do two of these areas in one day?