1. Default San Francisco to Denver

I am driving from San Francisco to Denver in late May. Which route would be the easiest to drive? I am assuming most of the drive will be twisting roads going over mountains right?? I know google maps is recommending the I80 all the way to Cheyenne then south to Denver. But is it easier to switch to the I70 after Salt Lake City? I have 3 days to do the drive.

Tucson, AZ

Default Worry Not

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Although I-80/I-25 is slightly longer than US-50/I-70, it will be much easier on your nerves, and the additional length is inconsequential considering the overall drive. The advantage to using the all Interstate route is that the Interstates are built to military specifications. Their official name is the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways. Grades (hills) can be no steeper than 6% and curves cannot be so sharp as to require you to slow down below 60 mph. So nowhere on the Interstate System should you feel as though you are on "twisting roads going over mountains". You would need about 2½ days to make the drive in a comfortable fashion. With three days, you'll have a little time to stop occasionally.

Last edited by AZBuck; 04-21-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Melbourne, Australia

Even though it is slightly shorter, and a wee, wee bit more mountainous, US-50/I-70 is tons more interesting, and no where near as boring as flying along on an Interstate.

Through Nevada, where it crosses one range after another - none of those roads are particularly steep - with long straight stretches in between. And each valley is so distinct and different from the last. The time, and miles, just fly as one is enthralled with the beauty of it all. And as far as speed is concerned.... well, this is the only place on earth where I have ever found myself doing in excess of 100mph.

Through Utah, especially the eastern part, the scenery is even more breathtaking than it is in Nevada.

Lifey urges you to consider it