1. Default Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado trip in May

My son and I will be making a road trip north in very early May. Our route will take us through Hutchinson, Kansas; Scottsbluff, Nebraska; Keystone, South Dakota; Devils Tower, Wyoming; and Rocky Mountain National Park on the way back.

Does anyone have any advise on this route or the places we are visiting?... Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Museum, Cheney State Park, Kan., Scotts Bluff National Monument, Agate Fossil Beds National Monument, Custer State Park, Reptile Gardens, Bear Country U.S.A., Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower and Rocky Mountain National Park as we head back south.

These are destinations planned so far. Any ideas? Are we missing anything great? We are planning on doing some semi-strenuous hiking, photography, camping, birding, etc. Any help would be fantastic, thank you, Randy Adventure.

South of England.

Default Nice !

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You don't actually say how long you have to dedicate to the trip, but it certainly looks fun ! Badlands NP and Wind cave NP are 2 popular destinations in SD of which I haven't visited either, yet ! Morraine park campground is a nice place to camp in RMNP and is close to some good trail heads along the Bear Lake road for various hike lengths. A little further South around Manitou Springs are 'Garden of the Gods' and 'Cave of the winds' and you could drive through the Pike National forest to Woodland Park for views of Pikes peak and perhaps drive up to the top on the toll road.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default more

I'd have to agree that Badlands would be a "must' for me, if I were in your shoes and wanted to do the things you're talking about. Certainly you'd have plenty of hiking and photography opportunities.

I'd also agree that Wind or Jewel Caves would be worth a stop. Personally, the Bear Country and Reptile Gardens don't do much for me, as they fall a bit too much into the tourist trap category for my taste. There's so much in that area to explore, those aren't places where I've spent time when I've visited the area.

One of our frequent posters Foy also loved his time in the Nebraska Sandhills last year which should have even more things for you to consider.

Default Enthusiasm hopefully clear

Hello Randyadventure,

I can hardly wait for my July 2011 RoadTrip which will again include the Nebraska Sandhills, and this time, I'm staying longer.

Of interest to you might be some nice hiking trails in and around Fort Robinson State Parks. I've only read some trail descriptions, but the countryside is very, very nice: lightly forested buttes and badlands-type canyons. I also intend to find a local rodeo and attend it on a Friday or Saturday night, as the case may be. Regular contributor glc has written of a rodeo at Harrison, NE, hard by the Wyoming line, and I've got my eyes on Chadron, Crawford, or Valentine to learn of a scheduled event. Likely one can find one in either WY or SD, too, for that matter. Local rodeos are great fun.

The countryside of north-central and northwest NE and adjacent parts of WY and SD is remote and beautiful, and wholly navigable in terms of getting to the Black Hills area attractions.

Oh, one more thing: there is a lenghty rails-to-trails park in SD, with the southern terminus at Edgemont. I imagine bike rentals and shuttle services are available at the northern end, closer to Rapid City/Deadwood, etc. Edgemont, SD is not at the end of the world, but you can see it from there. I drove gravel roads for the most part from Crawford, NE (Fort Robinson) to Edgemont early on a Friday morning in July, and it was a memorable drive.

Enjoy the planning and the RoadTrip!

Joplin MO

There is a very good chance that Trail Ridge Road through RMNP will not be open yet in early May. This is something you will need to keep track of. This would essentially limit your access to the area of the park near Estes Park.