1. Default Chicago to San Diego, up to Seattle then back to Chicago

Hi!! First time road tripper here!! My husband and I are planning to take a road trip from Chicago to San Diego, up the California coast, and all the way to Seattle then back to Chicago. We have about a month or so to travel. We really have no plan set in motion and are just going to take it day by day, but we are looking for some advice on best places to stay on the cheap and some "not so popular" sites to check out! Any advice on this trip would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Welcome!

May I suggest that you reverse the direction of your trip? That way, if you decide to drive down the coast, the scenic pullouts will be on your side of the road.

You need to research what YOU are interested in - dig out a good map or atlas and see what attractions are along your general route. Between Chicago and Seattle, your general route would be based around I-90. From SD to Chicago, you could look at several different routings. Come up with a basic plan, and we will be happy to help you "connect the dots" and refine the details.

Default Contradiction?

Quote Originally Posted by jnemco View Post
    We really have no plan set in motion and are just going to take it day by day, but we are looking for some advice on best places to stay on the cheap and some "not so popular" sites to check out!
    There seems to be a contradiction in this statement. You are not likely to read about the 'not so popular' sites, on a forum like this. Once you do, they are bound to become very popular.

If you are planning to take it day by day (my favourite way), then may I suggest that wherever you are, you speak to the locals. They are the ones who will point you to their favourite spots, many of which never make it into a tourist brochure....

Or onto this forum!

Lifey

jnemco,

take a look through the State Places Challenge – A-Z thread. You’ll find all kinds of not-so-well known places and attractions throughout the US and Canada.

Jnemco,
    If you do take I-90, there are several short detours that are fun....the Corn Palace outside of Mitchell is very unique, Silver Lake is dry now, but several of the buildings are standing as well as the Ingalls farm, Wall Drugs (of course!), Blue Earth MN has a great photo op (the GIANT Jolly Green Giant), the Spam museum in Austin MN, Belle Fourche SD, lots of interesting stuff close to that route. We looped from Chicago to Glacier NP to Salt Lake and back to Chicago. We did a LOT of side trips!