1. Default Sacramento to Knoxville with a dog

Hi road trippers!

I'm planning a one way trip from the Sacramento area to East Tennessee in June this summer. My hubster and I are moving to the Knoxville area. We're going to have a moving company take all of our stuff and it'll leave us with approximately 10 days between packing up here and unloading there. So we decided to take our time driving to TN and make a little road trip out of it!

Here are the particulars:
    - It will be my husband, myself and our golden retriever.
    - We have people we can stay with in northeastern Kansas and possibly in southern Missouri, but we don't necessarily need to stay with either.
    - We plan to mostly camp. I've been looking for dog friendly national parks along the way and I found a couple in Colorado (Great Sand Dunes and Black Canyon of the Gunnison) but it looks like most of the other parks don't allow dogs on any of the trails. Any suggestions for dog friendly hiking and/or camping spots would be greatly appreciated!
    - We're mostly interested in outdoor activities. We enjoy hiking and I would love some beautiful scenery to photograph.
    - I'm a little concerned about the dog in the summer heat, but if there's water for him to swim in, I think he'll be fine.
    - Also, we've never taken the dog camping before. (I think he's going to love it!)

Thanks for taking time to help us out! I really appreciate any suggestions or tips that you might have for us.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default beyond national parks

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

National Parks generally are not very dog friendly, but there are still a ton of great places and lands open where your pet will be welcome.

The first places I'd be looking are at National Forest and National Monuments. They are usually pet friendly, and often offer views that are worthy of National Park status. In fact, the National Parks you've found that do allow dogs (Gunnison and Sand Dunes) are relatively new National Parks that were "promoted" from National Monument status.

On top of that, most state parks are pet friendly and again can be a great resource.

Keep in mind even in National Parks that aren't dog friendly, they are almost always still allowed in campgrounds, so if you want to stay there and explore an area by car, you should be fine.

3. Default

Thanks, Michael! I'll look into National Forests, Monuments and State Parks! I guess because of the name, I assumed that National Monuments would be more like Mount Rushmore - mostly just one big monument instead of a whole recreational area. Hehe. :o)

Default Simple, but effective

Hello cinnamonteal,

With nothing more than a good current edition of a national highway atlas, you should find depictions of all major and minor highways, National Parks, National Monuments, and National FORESTS within each state. You'll discover the great majority of mountainous land in the Mountain West is within one National Forest (NF) unit or another. There are many, many times the land area within NFs than the sum of NPs and NMs combined.

NFs are liberally sprinkled with campgrounds. Many are primitive (offering only outhouses, community water spigots, and perhaps a picnic table). The price is certainly right, however, ranging from free to $10/night. It's a simple exercise to spot a NF unit on the highway atlas, go to the US Dept of Agriculture National Forest Service website, find recreational/camping links therein, and in many cases there are detailed maps and descriptions of specific campgrounds and their improvements.

I'd hazard a guess there are essentially NO forested mountain ranges in NV, UT, MT, ID, WY, CO, NM, or AZ which do NOT include substantial NF lands, and there's at least a small campground within most any sizable section of NF lands.

Green County, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonteal View Post
    I guess because of the name, I assumed that National Monuments would be more like Mount Rushmore - mostly just one big monument instead of a whole recreational area. Hehe. :o)
    You know that would make sense, but since these are still government run institutions, you do have to put sense on the back burner!

Actually, the biggest difference between a National Park and a National Monument is the process. The President can declare an area a National Monument by executive order, but it takes an act of Congress to make it a National Park.

In many cases, a National Monument status is the first step towards creating or expanding a National Park. Even many of the most major national parks, like Grand Canyon, Zion, Grand Tetons, were all National Monuments first.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Now I know

Michael, Thanks for that explanation. I have always wondered why all these different names for, what are really, all some sort of park.