1. Default Roadtrip: Washington, DC to Greenville, MS

I'm about to graduate from college and I'm trying to plan an early June 2011 road trip from Washington, DC to Greenville, MS. According to Mapquest/GoogleMaps, the drive takes approximately 16 hours and the best route runs south along the western part of Virginia, then into and across essentially the entire state of Tennessee, then down into the Mississippi Delta region. I'm open to other more scenic, interesting routes, if you guys know any. I should have a couple days to do the drive, and I welcome detours. I'm hoping to do the drive with one or two family members.

I need some input though: I have NO CLUE where to stop along this route. What are the best cities/towns to make sure to see? What are specific attractions I shouldn't miss? Civil War history? Beautiful natural wonders? Music (blues, jazz, rock, country) related stuff? And perhaps most importantly, where should I make sure to eat? I love all types of food, but would love to experience authentic southern cooking.

Please let me know if there are any ideas out there! Thanks!

Tucson, AZ

Default In the Real World

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

When you actually get in your car in DC, you need to be ready to expend at least two days on the drive to Greenville if you go by the most direct Interstate route and make only minimal stops. If you plan on taking scenic roads and making significant stops, then you'll need to plan on three days or more. The problem with the drive-time estimates you get from computer software is that such programs assume that you can drive at or above the speed limit from the moment you get behind the wheel until the moment you reach your destination. No stopping for gas. No traffic delays. No meals. Not a stop sign anywhere. No bathroom breaks. And you never get tired or irritable or even want to stretch your legs. For 16 straight hours. Sound realistic?

Now, if you can budget three days, you can start looking at terrifically scenic roads like the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Natchez Trace Parkway. Great stops like Jefferson's Monticello, Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Historic venues such as Shiloh National Battlefield. But first and foremost you have to make the time to spend in the real, rather than the virtual, world.