1. Default Chicago to Mount Rushmore - hotels?

Hi all. I'm been looking around the site for tips for a while now and have gotten a lot of great ideas on where to go during my upcoming trip from Chicago to Mount Rushmore and back, during the last two weeks of April. The one problem I'm having: finding interesting hotels! We'll be staying for two nights in Custer State Park in SD, but currently I'm not finding anything but typical expensive chains in a few of our other stops. I'm looking for interesting, city-specific hotels or motels in the following places:

- Minneapolis
    - somewhere in western North Dakota, possibly near Medora
    - somewhere near Little Big Horn (I've been looking in Hardin, Billings, and Sheridan, currently leaning towards Sheridan)

Price is a little flexible, I'm willing to go up to $160/$180 for something fun and worth the money. But we're not hotel snobs at all and pretty much only care that a place is clean and comfortable for the night, so cheaper options are completely welcome. What I really want are hotels that are unique to their area, rather than a national chain where everything looks the same. Antler sculptures, secluded gardens, great views, dude ranch, whatever's interesting - anything besides the same old stuff.

Any ideas?

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

For at least one of your stops, Medora, I found the Rough Riders Hotel. It appears that much of it is more recently built, but there are rooms in the circa 1884 section of the hotel available.

I do think that lower priced options are going to tend towards the chains.