Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Help on the Route from LV to SF

Hi,
    It's so nice to be here. I am planning a trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco in the last week of April. I've found some very useful information here. But I still want to get confirmation for the route I've choosen on Google Map in respect of both road condition and weather condition.
    As part of my trip, I will drive from LV to SF in two days. Since it isn't too much time, and the CA-120 is still closed, I choose Death Valley instead of Yosemite.
    My planned itinerary now is to take CA-190, on which I assume I can admire some of the scenaries of Death Valley, then change to US-395 to Mammoth Lake for an overnight at B&B, next day still drive north on 395 till Riverview Dr to turn left, following US-50 and then I-80 to SF.
    Is this a realistic plan in April?
    Since it is my first trip to US, I am a bit nervous about the arrangement and your help on this would be appreciated a lot.

Lisa

Default That will work.

It's so nice to be here.
    It's nice to have you here, Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You have done your homework well and Yes, your plan is realistic. Expect them both to be full days, but enjoyable.

3. Default

HI,
    Thanks for the confirmation. It is really a great relief to me. So is Mammoth Lake a good idea for the overnight? I mean is this the middle point of this route so that I can have a balanced arrangement for this two day drive?

It's a good area to aim for and you shouldn't have any problems finding lodgings between the Bishop and Lee Vining area [including Mammoth] depending on how the time goes by.

From Vegas you could take the 'Locals route' to Death valley by leaving on NV160 to Pahrump and then Bell Vista Ave/Ash Meadows Rd/ State line Rd to Death valley junction and 190. Zabriske point is worth a stop for the view and Furnace creek for refreshments and a look around the museum etc.

If you take Riverview Dr, then 756 to 88 to 207, that will take you up the Kingsbury Grade and is the best "shortcut" from 395 to 50. However, if Monitor Pass is open, you can take CA-89 over it and Luther Pass to pick up 50 west of Tahoe.

6. Default thx

Thank you for your help. Then I guess I can be relaxed and enjoy the trip.

7. Default Four Wheel Drive?

Hi,
    I have one more question: do I need a four wheel drive for this route?
    Thanks again.

No. All of the roads you are talking about are completely paved (you couldn't drive on them in a rental, even a 4 wheel drive one, if they weren't).

9. Default ???not rental???

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    No. All of the roads you are talking about are completely paved (you couldn't drive on them in a rental, even a 4 wheel drive one, if they weren't).
    Hi,
    Thx but I couldn't understand why you said I couldn't drive in rental? You mean I couldn't drive a rental car on these road?
    I am totally lost. Because I can only rent a car for this trip. Maybe I misunderstand your words. If you can clarify this, it would be appreciated.

Default Misunderstanding

You are OK to drive a rental, no problem at all.

What Michael was referring to is that you can not drive a rental vehicle 'off road,' [ie dirt tracks] so there is no need for the added cost of a 4 wheel drive vehicle. All the roads you will be travelling, and are allowed to travel are paved and you won't need one.

Simply put, No you don't need a 4 wheel drive, but yes you can drive any rental you want..