1. Default Orlando to New York City

Hi all,

We are heading to the States next October and will be driving from Orlando to New York City allowing approx 7 days to do so. We are after suggestions of what would be the best route for tourists such as ourselves.

Melbourne, Australia

Hi, and welcome.

May I suggest that you get a good map of the US, or at least of the East Coast, and check to see what there is along the way, picking out some of the things which may interest you. (I have the National Geographics map, which I find by far the clearest.)

When you have a few dots on the map, come back and the experts here will help fill in the blanks.

From my own experience, having driven this corridor several times, I would recommend that for the most part you stay clear of I 95. With the time you have available, you could look at some of the other major routes, as well as minor highways, anywhere through South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia.

Hugging the coast all the way is also an interesting trip, but not sure what it would be like in October. I did it in a hot summer.

Enjoy the planning.

Lifey in Melbourne

3. Default

I can advise on part of that. I-95 in the Carolinas is pretty seriously boring. You could hug the coast and do cities like Savannah, Charleston, Wilmington, or you could veer off (adding more miles) and head for the mountains (Greenville, SC, Asheville, NC, taking I-81 through the Blue Ridge) or you could split the difference and come up through the middle of NC maybe visiting Chapel Hill or Durham or Raleigh. You could also continue up the coast of NC and visit the Outer Banks, but that will take you pretty far out of the way. It's beautiful, though.

If you're interested in military history there's the 82nd Airborne museum in Fayetteville, NC, but if not I think the I-95 corridor is very busy and boring in NC.

Washington DC has tons of stuff to see and would be well worth a stop if that appeals at all. BTW, all the Smithsonian museums on the mall in DC are free of charge, though you pay extra for souvenirs and IMAX of course. You can come at DC via I-81, though, or via I-85 to I-95. Be aware that DC traffic can be absolutely horrible and slow depending on the day and time you hit it.

There are a lot of historical sites in Virginia and the Carolinas if you're interested in that sort of thing. You could hit places like Williamsburg and Monticello if you've a mind to.