Default August trip Buffalo NY to Florida Keys?

My wife and I are planning a road trip from around the Buffalo NY area down to the Florida Keys and back. We enjoy seeing historical, scenic, ocean views, quaint antique type towns etc. We've done theme parks to death, not looking for action or nightlife on this trip. Theme is to enjoy, and relax.
    Can anyone suggest a good route, best places to stop to save some money. I don't mind spending more for a beautiful location if there's something unique (such as an ocean view or a historic plantation setting) but when onroute to those special sites I don't mind staying in a tiny town at a redroof inn or similar. I'm also getting mixed ideas about where to stay in the keys. Not sure which is the best location and best deal for what you get. We did a trip last year to Williamsburg Va and loved it.
    We have 2 weeks max to do the trip.
    Any ideas?

Tucson, AZ

Default Start Here

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

To get started, have a look through this description of two general routes down the eastern United States. You could easily use one going south and the other returning home, or mix and match as the mood strikes. Unfortunately, specific info on any of the tens of thousands of lodging choices available to you is beyond the scope of this forum, but one of our regular contributors has mentioned Islamorada on Plantation Key as a place that he has enjoyed. In any event, once you have a rough outline of route and places that you'll include in your trip, we might be able to offer advice that's tailored to your choices.