1. Default Summer road trip Chicago to Arizona

We're planning a multi-generational trip this summer: my 65-year-old mom, me, and my 3 kids (11, 8, and almost 2). Any ideas about the south route (St. Louis/Oklahoma/Texas/etc) vs. north (South Dakota/Colorado/etc) pros and cons? Thanks for all ideas.

Default More questions than answers.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

What sort of ideas were you looking for ? How much time have you ? Do you want to do site seeing or are you looking for a quick/quickest route ? Arizona is a big 'target, where are you heading ?

I would plan on making it a minimum of a 4 day trip with the young ones on board. Although potentially it could be done quicker it would be tough on the Kids and in turn will make it tough on you.

You can search around the forums and road trip planning pages above for ideas and to see what suits your tastes, but we are going to need more of your input to be of any meaningful help.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

What sort of ideas were you looking for ? How much time have you ? Do you want to do site seeing or are you looking for a quick/quickest route ? Arizona is a big 'target, where are you heading ?

I would plan on making it a minimum of a 4 day trip with the young ones on board. Although potentially it could be done quicker it would be tough on the Kids and in turn will make it tough on you.

You can search around the forums and road trip planning pages above for ideas and to see what suits your tastes, but we are going to need more of your input to be of any meaningful help.
    Definitely sightseeing, taking our time (probably a week out there and a week back, but very flexible). Our destination is near Prescott, AZ. Hoping to take the south route (St. Louis/Oklahoma/TX/NM/AZ) there and the north route (WI, MN, SD, CO) back (or vice versa). Don't think we'll have time for Yellowstone. Looking for interesting outdoor stuff (but not zip-line or whitewater rafting!), some historic/natural wonder stuff, and good food. Kids are great travelers and little adventurers, but a comfy room & hotel pool is always nice at the end of the day. Thanks for your ideas.

Default Get the Kids involved.

Taking one route out and another back is definitely the way to go ! Yellowstone could be stretching things a bit for this trip although not impossible. Personally I would spend a bit of time through Colorado and Southern Utah with great driving roads and places like Rocky mountain NP, Black canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce and Zion NPs' and as you make your way to AZ, Antelope canyon, Lake Powell, Monument valley and the Grand canyon. On th way home you could stop at the Petrified Forest, Albuquerque and Santa Fe, St Louis and it's famous Arch.

These are a few names of places that just scratch the surface of what's possible, so I would continue searching the forums and do some route planning in the 'Map Centre' where you can find attractions along your routes or nearby vicinity.

If you plan on visiting 4 or more National parks it would be cheaper to purchase an annual pass for $80 than it would paying individual prices. The older children could join the 'Junior Rangers' program that is educational and fun ! Get them involved in the planning stages so that they feel part of the trip, allowing them to make suggestions of things that interest them. This makes for a much nicer trip for all concerned.

Once you have had a look around and have some dots on the map we can help to fill in the blanks and make suggestions on possible 'tweaks'.

Enjoy the planning !