1. Default From SF to LA to LV

Hi guys

My parents are coming over to North America from Asia for my convocation. With financial constraints, this will probably be their only trip in their lifetime that they will get to touch North America's ground so I want to make sure that they get to see as much as I can cram within this short period of time. The trip will be from 3 June to 9 June.

I have not decided on where to fly into, probably SF since flying in from Vancouver to SF is the cheapest. I planned the route originally from SF --> Yosemite --> LA --> Vegas and flying off from Vegas. But after reading the forum, it seems like i'm missing out on the coastal trip including Big Sur. Currently, my plan is:

3-4 June: SF (Golden gate bridge and just walking around town)
    4-5 June: Yosemite
    5-6 June: LA (Hollywood, Santa Monica, Bev Hills)
    6-9 June: Vegas (Grand Canyon, Factory outlet and Vegas strip)

What do you guys think of my plan? How can I accommodate Big Sur in the plan?

Default Make Things Work for You

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are several problems inherent in such a trip at that time of year and particularly now. But working around them may work to your own advantage. First, finding reasonably priced accommodations in the Yosemite area will be difficult to impossible, so you may not want to, and you may not even be able to, stay overnight there if you haven't made reservations already. Secondly, the Pacific Coast Highway has had a major mudslide and is currently closed to traffic just south of Carmel. The may open a single lane for alternating one-way traffic soon, but I doubt very much that the road will be open completely by June. You can expect major delays if you try to use this road.

So, what to do? I'd suggest the following. Plan on seeing as much of the coast as you can on the day you leave San Francisco. You can take CA-1 south through Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz to Monterey and Carmel. There are several scenic state parks and other spots to walk the coast. 17 Mile Drive (toll) in Pebble Beach is worth taking, and Mission San Carlos Borromeo del Rio Carmelo is both an historic Spanish Mission and modern day Parish. Towards sunset, head inland towards Yosemite by backtracking up CA-1 to Castroville and then using CA-156/US-101/CA-152/CA-59/CA-140 through Gilroy, Los Banos and Merced. I'd aim for spending the night in Merced, but you can stop earlier depending on how much time you've spent on the coast. That should put you in good shape to get an early start the next morning for a day trip into Yosemite and still get out and back as far as Fresno on your way south to Los Angeles.

You would then have the rest of your time to follow your itinerary pretty much as you've scripted. Just be aware that the Grand Canyon really isn't within range of a day trip from Las Vegas, and you'll have to plan on spending one night on the way back after visiting the Canyon, Williams is probably your best bet.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks for the reply AZ!

After much consideration, I'm thinking to skip Yosemite National Park so would it be better to go through I5 highway from Big Sur straight to LA or go through Cabrillo highway and switch to HWY 101 at San Luis Obispo all the way into LA.

What do you think of this?

I-5 doesn't go anywhere near Big Sur. In fact, CA-1 (Cabrillo) is the only highway that goes through that area.

5. Default

Pacific Coast Highway has had a major mudslide and is currently closed to traffic just south of Carmel. The may open a single lane for alternating one-way traffic soon, but I doubt very much that the road will be open completely by June. You can expect major delays if you try to use this road.
    Is this CA-1 (Cabrillo)? If its gonna have huge delays, should I drive inland onto I5 highway?

You're talking complete Apples and Oranges.

CA-1 is the highway that runs along the Pacific Coast, and thus through Big Sur. It is slow going anyway, but with the landslide issues it will certainly be even slower. Even before the additional delays, you need 2 days to drive from SF to LA this way.

I-5 is a Multi-lane Freeway that runs through the Central Valley. Its fast but most of the scenery is just farmland.

Default Interstate 5 or Yosemite ? [no brainer!]

I would take a look at a detailed map so that you can familiarise yourself with your options. You could take US 101 and stop in a seaside town such as Cambria or Cayucos. If you decided to take I5, you would free up some time and if that were the case, I would forget 15 and revert back to using that time in the spectacular Yosemite NP and head South on CA 41/99 to I5.