1. Default Road Trip in Claifornia, Nevada and Arizona

Hello Everyone

Having completed 2 road trips in the past , with great tips and advice from you all, I wonder if you could help again this year?

My wife and I are flying into San Francisco, from Ireland in late September, we have the following itinerary and wonder if you can give us some tips along the way?

San Francisco-3days--what to seee and do

San Francisco to Sequoia NP- what is the drive like and best route?-2 days in Sequoia

Sequoia to Yosemite -3 days there

Yosemite to Bishop CA - just 1 day--hoping to go over Tioga Pass- any advice will be appreciated

Bishop to Death Valley-2 days in valley

Death Valley to Las Vegas-2 days in Vegas

Las Vegas to Flagstaff-3 days here --what are best things to see?

Flagstaff to Phoenix-1 night and then home

Look forward to any advice and tips pn sights and places to eat along way --our accomodation is pre booked.

Kind Regards

South of England.

Default Some thoughts.

Hi Ed, welcome back !

A nice, relaxed trip you have planned.

Lot's to see and do in SF. Alcatraz, Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf, Coit tower, China Town, Union Square, Ghirardelli Sq, Golden Gate Rec area/bridge and riding the Cable cars, visiting the Cable car museum and much more. Great City that's easy to get around the Central area without a car and with expensive parking fees. You might want to pick your rental up on day 3 ?

As Yosemite is your next stop, I would approach Sequoia from the South through Three rivers and up the Generals Highway. If you are staying in the Centre of SF, leave by Bay Bridge[I80] to I 580 towards Manteca and across to CA99. If you had an overnight along the way you could have taken a drive down towards Monterey and around Big Sur.

You should have no problems crossing Tioga in Sept/early Oct and you can make a nice day of it sight seeing along the way. You could take a stop at Mono Lake, there is a nice view from up the hill past the gas station, in the gas station they serve good food at 'Woah Nellies Diner'. You might have time for a detour around the June lake Loop road, unfortunately I haven't had time, to date.

The Grand canyon is an obvious choice from Flagstaff, but there is also Walnut canyon, Sunset Crater Volcanic and the Lowell Observatory among others. A little further afield are Monument valley where you could consider spending one of those 3 nights, or nearby at 'Cameron trading post', although a little touristy it's worth a visit for the store alone. You could overnight in 'Red Rock country' around Sedona on route to Phoenix.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default The basics

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You've got a good solid start to your plan, but there is a couple of suggestions I'd consider.

First, rather than going from SF to Sequoia directly, I'd look at taking a detour along the coast. You will need to spend at least 1 or two nights here, but I think you could take that time by slightly shortening one or two of your other stops.

Flagstaff does have plenty of things around it, and you should have no problem finding cheap lodging, but if you can afford it, you might want to spend at least one night right at the Grand Canyon. It is about an hour drive from GC to Flagstaff, so you'd be saving some time even if you spent one night there and then moved onto Flagstaff. There certainly are no shortage of other things you could do in Northern Arizona, with Walnut Canyon, the Petrified Forest, and/or Sedona all being easy flagstaff daytrip ideas.

Of course, there are thousands of other threads on this subject, so if you spend a little time looking around you'll find lots more suggestions and ideas.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Night tour

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Lot's to see and do in SF. Alcatraz....
    If you are able to, I suggest you do the night tour of Alcatraz. Not only is the NP and old prison a bit more spooky at night, it is also a great sight to see the lights of SF come on as the sun sinks behind the Golden Gate Bridge.

Book early, it is always booked out.

South of England.

Default Booking recommended. [for any tour]

Good advice from Lifey !

You can buy ferry tickets to the Island in advance here. It is the only place to buy official tickets without having to buy other tours when using an agent, which is the way they make their profit.

6. Default

Cheers Southwest Dave

This look really useful info

Am picking car up at airport

look foward to Woah Nellies !!

Many Thanks

7. Default

Hello Midwest Michael

Thank you for the information and the tips

looking forward to September

8. Default

Hi Life magician