Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default First time RV Trip: San Jose to National Parks, unless they are shut down

We are first time RVers starting out from San Jose CA. We were originally planning on visiting national parks during our road trip, but it seems it is likely that they will be shut down due to the government budget impasse.

We are looking for an alternate itinerary for this trip where we will be driving a 32-foot RV for 8 nights (April 9 - April 17). We are traveling with 4 adults and 3 kids from 2-8 years old. Any ideas?
    Last edited by kristenjohansen; 04-07-2011 at 12:18 AM. Reason: left out duration of trip

Default State parks ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I am not sure where you got your info, but National parks shutting down would be International headline news and I haven't heard a word !

I think you might be referring to a few State parks that have suffered due to funding, the National parks are just fine. You can find all NP info here. You will have to check the various parks to see if they can accommodate a 32ft RV as some have a limit on size and the spaces that may be available are limited in number. There are RV parks around the NP's so it wouldn't be a big problem but staying inside the park is recommended where possible.

Have a look around RTA and the link above and when you have figured out a rough itinerary we can help to 'fine tune' your trip.

Default sadly, they're right

Sorry Dave, but you must have missed our previous discussions about it, but it actually is true that the National Parks could be shutting down, temporarily.

Basically, congress never got around to passing a budget last year, and if they don't reach a new deal by Friday (tomorrow) then the government will run out of money, forcing a shutdown of all non-essential services. That includes National Parks.

Default Yikes !

That wasn't on my radar at all !

Surely not, nah not gonna happen............... ????

Default hard to say

The last time this happened was in the mid-90s, so it could certainly happen again.

Personally, I tend to think they are going to get a deal done because unlike the mid-90's neither side of the political spectrum is likely to "win" if a shutdown happens. But you never know with politicians.

Back to the original question, there are plenty of great scenic places that aren't part of the national parks system. I would actually be looking at state parks, but there are other areas like the coast highway itself (keeping in mind the closure north of Big Sur) or Lake Tahoe that provide lots of great views and possibilities, without being national parks.

Default Heck!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Basically, congress never got around to passing a budget last year
    I always thought they were self funding. Surely with the high costs, and the volume of visitors, why are they dependent on money which Congress allocates?

Lifey who must be mistaken

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    I always thought they were self funding. Surely with the high costs, and the volume of visitors, why are they dependent on money which Congress allocates?
    High Costs? The Federal Funding is the reason why they are so affordable. Really, think about any other attraction where you can take your entire family to a place for a full year for $80 - much less have that same amount of money be used to visit a few hundred of the most scenic places on the planet? And of course, about 1/4 of the National Parks don't even charge an admission fee.

Based on what I was able to to just look up quickly, the NPS gets about $2 Billion a year in Federal Funding. It's a pretty tiny part of the total Federal Budget, and only costs the average American a couple bucks a year, but they are no where close to being self-sustaining.

Well at least the Gov shutdown never happened, but boy what a wierd system !

I hope you have a great trip Kristen, if you need any further help, please ask.

Ah, Dave beat me too it, but it does look like an 11th hour deal has avoided a shutdown.

And it is not that weird if you step back and thing about it. Right now, the US government spends 8 billion dollars a day more than it takes in. The National Parks system is only a tiny tiny fraction of that, but still, someone still actually has to take a vote and say: Go ahead, take out that 8 billion dollar loan today, tomorrow, and every day after than!

I get what you mean and understand that it has far reaching consequences, way beyond the needs of the NP's. I certainly don't want to get into politics, but what I meant by 'weird,' is that having opposing parties having to agree on things such as 'women's health issues' [which was a major stumbling block apparently] or the Government will shut down until it is resolved is mind boggling. If we had such a system here in the UK, the Country would be permanently closed ! Lol.