1. Default Boston-Sacramento April 2011

I am evaluating a Boston-Sacramento, Sacramento-Boston road trip at the end of April. I want to make the trip as quick as possible (delivering car, picking up another car) Car Haulers want to charge $2,500.00 I've figured out gas, tolls, meals and hotels-I believe I can save around $700.00 and I have the time. Both cars will be mechanically checked before the journey. I plan to drive 10 hrs a day. Realistically, how long will it take and is there something I haven't taken into consideration above?

Default An 'average' day on the road.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

A simple yet effective 'formula' devised by very experienced road trippers works out to an average speed of 57mph over a full days travel, while taking into consideration the right amount of rest stops. Ten hours a day is also recomended as an upper limit for a multi day trip to keep things safe, as well as keeping it reasonably comfortable. With a round trip of just over 6000 miles you can reckon on it taking 10 to 11 days while driving 10 hour days, perhaps allowing an extra day for a break before turning around plus time to drop of and collect the other car.

I would consider taking a different route back than you took on the way out simply for a change of pace. You definitely need 5 days each way. Go out via I-90 and I-80, plan overnights around Cleveland, Davenport, Ogallala, and SLC. I'd take an extra day coming back via I-80, US-50, I-70, I-71, I-76, I-80, I-81, and I-84. Overnights would be Ely, Grand Junction, Hays, Effingham, and Brookville. With 1 day downtime in Sacto this would be a 12 day trip.

Default Meals

For the slightly heavier of foot, I use 60-62mph for areas from the Dakotas on west. Out there, the posted speed limits are normally 75mph and there are fewer cities w/ urban congestion, so one can average a slightly faster speed on a full-day basis, including stops. To average > 60-62, some dangerous speeds, too few stops, or both, are required.

I tend to ignore meal costs when planning a RoadTrip. I eat 3 squares a day no matter what. If anything, I'll bump in a differential in costs for eating out vs eating out of the grocery store, but I actually tend to keep some simple meals and drinks in a cooler on board the truck while RoadTripping, too.

Foy

Quote Originally Posted by Foy View Post
    For the slightly heavier of foot, I use 60-62mph for areas from the Dakotas on west. Out there, the posted speed limits are normally 75mph and there are fewer cities w/ urban congestion, so one can average a slightly faster speed on a full-day basis, including stops. To average > 60-62, some dangerous speeds, too few stops, or both, are required.
    Don't forget, the faster you drive, the more fuel you use, the higher your costs. Make sure you add this to your calculations.

For the insignificant savings in time, keeping your speed at around 65 you will not only save money, but be more comfortable as well. (The most fuel efficient speed is between 60 - 65mph.)

Lifey