1. Default Week long trip to yellowstone

Hi everyone,

So me and a few friends are planning a trip to Yellowstone in mid august and i have a few questions. The first thing is a camp site. We're looking for something off the beaten path, in the park. Maybe somewhere near the south entrance because we plan on visiting the grand tetons for at least one day. But the biggest thing, if possible, is to have more of a secluded camp site away from other people.
    The second thing is what to bring. I have camped before but never to this extent, and it was a long time ago. I was wondering if there were any good websites for this kind of thing or any advice you could give me about what to bring other then the obvious (i.e. tents, sleeping bags, and clothes).
    And the third question would be about the sites. Other then the main attractions, what else is a must see? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome!

I can't address a "must see" other than the obvious like Old Faithful, but I can direct you to a "must read" - the National Park Service website. Here is a direct link to the Yellowstone site. There is a list of all campsites with Flash videos, and you can download a detailed park map. I think you are going to have a hard time finding seclusion in August.

3. Default

We camped in Canyon Campground last summer. Nice enough campground -- the key is that it has showers which is non-negotiable with my wife. If you want off the beaten path then check out Slough Creek.

Don't miss the Lamar Valley -- breathtaking IMO.

Grand Geyser is worth the wait -- try your best to see it, it makes Old Faithful look like a little joke.

Also, the guided ranger talks/hikes are at their finest in Yellowstone. Take advantage of them especially since they're free.

4. Default

Thank you both for your responses! I checked out the website briefly and it looks like it has a lot of great info! And i will definitely look into Lamar valley and the grand geyser. Thanks again for responding!

5. Default

hello t.vilendrer,

I am also planning a trip to yellowstone and would like to camp there. I am planning to go in mid july 2011.
    Are you planning to book the campsites in advance or planning to get one once you reach there?

Thanks

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pundit View Post
    hello t.vilendrer,

I am also planning a trip to yellowstone and would like to camp there. I am planning to go in mid july 2011.
    Are you planning to book the campsites in advance or planning to get one once you reach there?

Thanks
    The campgrounds that are really off the beaten path are first come, first serve campgrounds so you can't make reservations. Canyon is not really off the beaten path, but the campsites are a little more secluded than say Madison and Mammoth Campgrounds.

If you want to guarantee a site, then you will want to make reservations. Here are the campgrounds in Yellowstone - LINK

We like Madison campground because it's closest to the geyser areas where we frequent the most and it's also centrally located for making trips to other parts of the park. There are NO showers or stores at Madison. There is a dump station and ice machine. We have a motor home so we are self contained. Tent camping will be a little more challenging, but you can go to any of the other campgrounds to take a shower and there are showers at the Lodge at Old Faithful. Just take your towel and shower supplies while on the road...we have done that in the past.

Utahtea

7. Default

If you want off the beaten path then check out Slough Creek.
    Slough Creek & Pebble Creek campgrounds are in the northern most section of Yellowstone and will involve a lot of driving to see the other parts of the park and the Grand Tetons too but it will be off the beaten path.

Utahtea

8. Default

And the third question would be about the sites. Other then the main attractions, what else is a must see? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
    I'll list my favorite places...YMMV! ;)

Old Faithful Geyser, Black Sand Basin, Biscuit Basin, Midway Geyser Basin, Firehole Lake Drive, Fountain Paint posts, Lower Geyser Basin, Norris Geyser Area, West Thumb Geyser Area, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and the Upper and Lower Falls, Hayden Valley, Tower Falls, Mammoth Hot Springs, Mud Volcano, Artist Paint Pots, Virginia Cascade, Yellowstone Lake, Petrified Tree, Sheepeater Cliff.

If you want an off the beaten path geyser experience then do the 5 miles round trip hike to Lone Star Geyser (not far from Old Faithful area). Check with the rangers to see if you can time an eruption...it's worth the wait...if you have the time.

Utahtea