View Poll Results: If fuel prices reached this level -- I'd cancel a planned trip

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • $5.50 per gallon

2 18.18%
  • $7.50 per gallon

3 27.27%
  • $10.00 per gallon

4 36.36%
  • No matter what, I'd still go on a planned road trip

2 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default One More Question on the Fuel Prices Issue

I'd like to get a sense of where the "push point" is for you. Is there a particular price of fuel that would severely impact your decision to do a road trip in the next 12 months?

Thanks,

Mark

I'm already at the push point. If they go much higher I'm going to buy a fuel-efficient vehicle. I love my truck but 15 to 20 mpg is a killer.

Default The desired effect

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I'm already at the push point. If they go much higher I'm going to buy a fuel-efficient vehicle. I love my truck but 15 to 20 mpg is a killer.
    So it is having the desired effect!

I guess that is what it's all about.

Lifey who fills up every 6 weeks

Default Every 6 weeks?

Lifey,

How does that work? You don't drive very much? or You have a very efficient car or??? On a good week, I only have to fill up about three times -- But when on a road trip, I'm refilling at least once a day maybe more....

Mark

Default Trains, Trams, and Buses

Mark,

When I was driving taxis, I carried many elderly, and very bitter, older ladies, who had either lost their licence, or never had one, and now lost their husband. They lived nowhere near public transport. Many seemed to be prisoners in their own homes. I vowed that it would not happen to me.

On seeing the plans for the townhouses, where I now live, I decided that it is where I would want to live, when I sold the family home. I am some 200 metres from the railway station, 20 minutes into the city, and then I can catch a train from there to anywhere.

At the local railway station are buses which travel all over greater Melbourne, and there is not a place I could not reach. And all I have to do is cross the road to catch a tram straight into the city, or to my local shops (now that I can no longer walk there).

As a senior I get subsidised fares, so my total cost per week rarely exceeds $15. It is only when I go visit my daughter or son, both of whom live within 5km of me, that I use the car, and very occasionally for anything else. So it is really only when I go on a 'trip' that I use the car. I have had it for three years, and clocked up 17000 kms.

True, public transport takes a little longer, but there are no parking worries and I get lots of books read.

Today I had to go to the airport. Took about 45 mins to get there, whereas I drive it in 15. My fare was $2.90. Parking for two hours is in excess of $20. Simple economics.

Lifey

Default Very prudent

Thanks for that.... Sometimes I wish I lived in a city where public transportation was efficient for my purposes... but I'm pretty welded to my own steering wheel....

mark

Default Yes and no.

As a non-resident desperate to come back, I doubt that any price would make me cancel a "planned trip," unless said trip was beyond what I could afford. [I do things the old fashion way and save, save, save rather than having such treats on credit.]

Having said that, fuel prices are already having an effect on my 'planning'. The high costs over here are hampering my saving efforts, add to that the higher cost of flights [or at least the lack of 'cheap deals'] and it makes it impossible to commit myself and click the 'Book now' button. My other 'problem' is my mode of transport preference. As you will know, I love to travel by RV and it is a big part of my experience in the US, an important factor to me. The lack of saved funds and high gas consumption/overall costs in an RV is leaving me with another decision, do I 'wait and see' or do I settle for 'second best' [in my case] and stay in a Motel or cabin with a car.

I guess the answer is twofold. No, fuel prices wouldn't make me cancel a planned trip. Yes, the costs [along with other factors] are having a big impact on my decision whether to do a US road trip this year or not.

Default It is a complicated question

As much as I admire your dedication (and that of Lifey) to refrain from traveling until you've saved enough... If I really lived that way, RTA would never have been created. I keep pushing the envelope -- Keep spending money on ideas and tools and projects that I think will eventually pay dividends but I've not had the luxury (or at least made it a priority) to be debt-free for at least three decades. I can understand the appeal of living the other way... but it's not part of how I am.

So, increases in the cost of fuel and associated expenses cut my margins even further... it will probably just make me a bit crankier

....And on we go.

Mark

Default Business V pleasure.

I keep pushing the envelope -- Keep spending money on ideas and tools and projects that I think will eventually pay dividends but I've not had the luxury (or at least made it a priority) to be debt-free for at least three decades. I can understand the appeal of living the other way... but it's not part of how I am.
    Debt free, I wish !

I think you got me wrong.

The very reason I save for trips [and why I used the term "treats" in my earlier post] is because of what you describe above. I am always investing in my business, having to spend money that I haven't always got, to create future income[hopefully]. That income is what pays for the trip ! If I don't separate the 2 things, [and it's very tempting not to] I could possibly end up without either.

Sorry, off topic I know.

Default More off topic

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Sorry, off topic I know.
    And so is this.

Mark, you can't equate my situation with yours. Granted I have been debt free since we paid off our mortgage, back in the early eighties, but we were not running a business. We did however, raise and educate five children on a single middle-class income.

If I were to get myself into debt now, how would I ever repay it, without an income. I have very little to sustain me besides social security. My greatest assett is the fact that I do not owe anyone a cent.

Lifey who travels on a shoe-string