1. Default Denver To Vegas Via Yellowstone

Hi all
    i am so glad that i found this site, i want to do a 6week long holiday in america, but as i have never been, planning is hard.
    me and a friend are flying into Denver on the 5th of October and we are hoping to be in Las Vegas by the 28th of October. the plan is, we will pick up a campervan in denver and drive. now i definitaly want to go to yellowstone and yosimite.
    i will put the link of a google map at the bottom. it is the rough route that i had planned. what i wanted to know is what kind of awesome things are there along the way that i should check out? or can you think of an alternatie route?
    i am also very excited about spending Halloween in America, as we dont celebrate it in my country, what sort of things are there to do for that?
    thanks in advance for the help

South of England.

Default Many options, keep looking.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Euro type Campers are rare in the US and those that are available are usually at a premium rate. You can find smaller RV's suitable for 2 people and it is a great lifestyle choice if you are into 'that sort of thing', as I am. However it is not the budget friendly choice as a car and Motels will work out cheaper by the time you have added on campground fees, higher fuel consumption etc. Doing a one way trip is fine, but whether you are in a 'camper' or a car, you will face one way drop off fees.

There are many, many alternative routes and attractions available to you and I would suggest you continue to look around RTA by searching the forums and using the links above such as the Map centre. Rocky mountain NP near Denver is a worthy first stop and you could head into Southern Utah to the NP's of Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce and Zion or head North for longer from Cheyenne towards Mt Rushmore, Custer State park, Badlands etc. From Yosemite you could drive across the Sierra Nevada on the Tioga pass and through Death valley to Vegas and if you left yourselves enough time, the Grand canyon isunder 5 hours away from Vegas. You will need an overnight stop as GC is more than a day trip.

Green County, Wisconsin

You might consider finishing your trip in San Francisco.

If you did that, after Yellowstone, you could then head down into Utah and visit some of the places Dave mentioned, like Bryce, Zion, and Grand Canyon, then back across Vegas, Death Valley, and Yosemite on your way to SF.

Halloween isn't until Oct. 31st. There will be parties and the like the weekend before, but if you are leaving on the 28th, I suspect you'll miss out on most of it.

Tucson, AZ

Default Things I'd Try to Work In

I think/hope that the attached map demonstrates a generalized route and not a detailed plan. Because while it hits a number of the great spots available to you in the western United States, it leaves out quite a few as well. And with 6 weeks at your disposal, there's no reason not to add some of those spots, and make the trip cheaper in the bargain.

So the first thing I'd recommend, if you haven't booked non-refundable flights already, is to make this trip a complete loop, and return to whatever city you fly into. In general, simple round trip tickets are less expensive than 'open jaw' tickets where you fly into one city, but return from another. Using the same city for arrival and departure also means that you won't be subject to any one way drop-off fees on the car rental, that you can pick the cheapest possible city for your round-trip airfare from Australia (any city on a closed loop will do just as well as any other), and you get to see more of the country as you close the loop.

Places that could then be added as part of closing the loop include the Grand Canyon, the Petrified Forest, Monument Valley, Arches National Park, Mesa Verde, the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and others. Additional sites that you also should consider adding to your indicated route include Rocky Mountain National Park, Bonneville Salt Flats, Virginia City, Lake Tahoe, some time on the California coast, Kings Canyon NP, Sequoia NP, and Death Valley.