Default Phoenix to Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone

Planning a trip early June to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone. Don't need to stop anywhere in Arizona, Colorado or Utah as have been there many times. Which is the best way to go and is this an okay time for Yellowston?

Default best...

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

"Best" can mean a whole lot of different things, but if you are just looking for the fastest route from Phoenix to Yellowstone, then going up to Flagstaff, taking US-89 to I-15 in Utah will be your best bet. Where to get off will depend upon where in Yellowstone you want to go. While you might not need a stop for sightseeing, it is a 1000 mile drive, so you will need to stop for at least one night along the way. Early June should be a good time for Yellowstone, in fact, it is probably one of the best times to go.

Similarly, coming back it will depend upon if you are only doing Mt. Rushmore, or what else you might be doing in the Black Hills and/or Badlands, you'd head south using a road like US-85 or US-385 to US-20 to I-25, all the way to Albq, and then back into AZ on I-40.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie Silver View Post
    ..... and is this an okay time for Yellowstone?
    Yellowstone in Spring, is an amazing place. Of course there can still be limitations, depending on snow. On the other hand, there will be much wildlife activity with lots of new-borns. Two years ago we were fortunate enough to be able to photograph - from a distance - a moose who had just given birth, and many bison with their young.

But then, Yellowstone has something special every season. Just an amazing place.

Lifey

Thanks you, looks like we only have 9 days, do you think that is too much for Yellowstone and Mt. rushmore? Maybe we should just do one or the other.

It's 2.5 days from Phoenix to Mt. Rushmore, 1 day from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone, and 2 days from Yellowstone to Phoenix. That leaves you 3.5 days to sightsee. I can't see spending more than half a day at Rushmore so that would give you 3 days in Yellowstone.

I agree that Mt. Rushmore isn't worth much more than a few hours.

However, there is so much more to the Black Hills (not to even mention the Badlands) that is worth more time, it is a tougher call. Personally, if the only thing you'll have time to see is Rushmore, then I wouldn't do it for this trip since it is 500 miles in the wrong direction from home, and thus adds at least 1.5 days of travel.

With 9 days, you could do a quick tour of both areas, but I think doing them as 2 different trips could be more rewarding.

7. Default

Thanks you, looks like we only have 9 days, do you think that is too much for Yellowstone and Mt. rushmore? Maybe we should just do one or the other.
    Yellowstone is such a large park with so much to do and with your short time, I'd limit it to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons and save Mt. Rushmore for another trip.

Utahtea