Default Need Suggestions for Road Trip from Chicago with 4 kids

We are planning to take our first road trip with our kids during their Spring Break beginning March 29th. Never done one of those in my lifetime, so I'm hoping to plan one that my kids would greatly enjoy, as well as my husband and I.

(We were originally planning to drive out to Orlando, but truth is- that was adding up to be something quite unaffordable with 4 kids in tow, so we decided it's more intimate as a family to enjoy God's creation through the simplicity of driving around in our grand backyard called the states.)

Would appreciate any suggestions on routes and places to visit, eat, sleep.

We live in Chicago, and we have about 10 days available to go and come back home. (Driving out Friday, March 26 and need to return by Sunday, April 4)

Tucson, AZ

Default So Many Blank Pages

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The fact is, with 10 days, you can go almost anywhere in the U.S. or Canada, especially if what you envision is a RoadTrip that mostly entails driving. But there is simply no way anyone can give you the kind of detailed advice on routes, attractions or restaurants you're asking for until you pick a destination. If, however, cost is a major factor, then I'd suggest sticking fairly close to home and concentrating on camping and outdoor adventures. A few that come to mind are the Boundary Waters of northern Minnesota, Door County of Wisconsin, the UP of Michigan, and the Land Between the Lakes of Kentucky and Tennessee. I'd suggest that you start by looking at those and deciding which, if any, appeals to you and then letting people know why or why not. At that point they may be able to offer you more specifics.

I'm thinking Michigan. Kids were interested in Avalanche Bay in Boyne, but I want to incorporate sight seeing towns, historical landmarks, walking trails, anything to have us on the move.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 02-25-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Removed quote of entire previous post

Tucson, AZ

Default Then Incorporate These

If you plan to journey up the east shore of Lake Michigan, then you should be looking at, among others, Pere Marquette National Scenic River, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, and Colonial Michilimackinac State Historical Park.

Default Chicago, IL to Grand Haven, MI- suggestions for routes, places to see, things to do..

Visiting Michigan for the first time, specifically headed to Grand Haven at a cottage near beach for for 3 days with 4 kids.

Would like the following suggestions:
    1. Places to stop and see/discover while driving to Grand Haven
    2. Things to do while at Grand Haven
    3. Best Places to eat (unique, nothing like it type places) at or around Grand Haven, even on the way there or back home to Chicago.
    4. Places outside of Grand Haven that would be worth driving to while in Michigan.
    5. Any off the beaten path places I should consider?

Feel free to direct me to any existing posts that may already have this information.

Mod Note: Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-30-2011 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Merged

Green County, Wisconsin

Default look up

I'd say the Ideas that Buck provided in his post would all make for good stops as part of your overall trip.

It's only a couple hour drive between Chicago and Grand Haven, but there are lots of parks along the lake. Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore is the big one, but there are also several other possibilities. I'd take a look at the Michigan State Parks system because there are several you could stop at.

Otherwise, what is drawing you to Grand Haven? Knowing your reasons for picking it, and the things you've already planned might spark other ideas that would be interesting to you.