1. Default Chicago to Jasper NP

I'm looking for the best route (preferably quickest) from Chicago to Jasper NP in Canada. Would also appreciate any accomodation recommendation in/around Jasper and Banff -- budget to moderate in price. Thanks!

Welcome!

Take I-90/I-94 to Fargo, I-29/MB-75 to Winnipeg, then Trans-Canada 1 to Banff.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Welcome!

Take I-90/I-94 to Fargo, I-29/MB-75 to Winnipeg, then Trans-Canada 1 to Banff.
    Thanks!

Mapquest is suggesting to cut diagonally across ND -- through Jamestown and Minot. Any idea what those roads are like?

I haven't been on those specific roads, but in general, you're talking about 2 lane roads through rural farm country and wheat fields. You'll be looking at 65 mph speed limits, but with some town thrown in, plus slowdowns as the highways make 90 degree right and left turns. If you plan to travel up through Banff, then I'd probably go this way. It's about 90 miles shorter, but overall travel time would be pretty similar.

However, if you were looking for the pure fastest way, I'd say going up through Winnipeg, and then up through Saskatoon and Edmonton, would be faster than any route going through Calgary and Banff.

As an aside, for some interesting notes. I believe the computer generated route has you crossing the border on US-52 at Portal. I have not crossed there, but I have crossed at the next border crossing to the west which is actually located on a gravel road. Another option would be to cross using US-281, which would take you right past the International Peace Garden.
    As an aside,

5. Default

Thanks. I'll probably stick with the Fargo->Winnipeg->Edmonton route. I'm going to try to get up there in 3 days.

I would not advise that - allow 4 days. You are looking at 2000 miles, and the roads through Canada are not expressways, and have lower speed limits than our Interstates. The best you should try for are overnights in Fargo, Regina, and Edmonton or Calgary.

7. Default

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try to leave the afternoon before and make it up to about Eau Claire, WI -- I think that will help a lot.

I made reservations to camp in Jasper and Banff. Can't wait!

That would give you overnights around Winnipeg and Saskatoon or Moose Jaw.