Thread: quickest route

1. Default quickest route

I am driving next week from San Francisco to Savannah Ga., in an SUV with a dog and a cat.I want to drive about 6 hours a day and not sight see.What is my best,fastest route,and do hotels take cats as well ?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The fastest route will likely be I-5 down to Bakersfield, CA-58 to I-40 all the way to Memphis. Then down to Savannah via US-78/I-20/I-75/I-10 through Birmingham, Atlanta, and Macon.

That's 2700 miles, and if you only drive 6 hours a day, you're going to need about 9 days. If you upped that to 8-10, you could save that down to 5 or 6 days.

Plenty of hotels take both cats and small dogs. LaQuinta and Motel 6 tend to be two of the more pet friendly chians, but there are a lot more out there.

3. Default

Thank you!!! So I-40 is better than I-10?

I wouldn't say I-40 is necessarily "better" but it is about 200 miles shorter, so it should be faster which is what you asked. It also avoids some of the worse traffic areas like LA, Phoenix/Tucson, and Houston.

Of course, 200 miles over a trip that is nearly 3000 miles total isn't that big of a deal. If there is something along I-10 you want to see, that could be the better route for your trip.

5. Default Ukiah ,California to Asheville, North Carolina

Hi,
    Starting trip this Saturday.Will have dog and cat in car,and only me driving,so only 6 -7 hours a day to drive,and looking for pet friendly hotels along route.How long will it take,and I-40 best way?Any other advice?Thanks--

Mod note] Please do not start other threads about this trip.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 05-19-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Merged threads

Your questions have already been answered in this thread you started. If you are now willing to drive up to 7 hours a day you could possibly make the journey in a week.

I wouldn't go down to I 10 unless, as Michael mentioned previously, there is something that appeals to you that way. According to my mapping program there is nothing in time or distance by selecting from I40 or I80. To break your journey up into even segments over a week, you should be looking for lodgings at around a distance of 380 and 400 +/- miles per day along your chosen route. If you want to take slightly longer and keep closer to the 6 hour per day driving mark, you will need 8 days and look to stop around the 340/350 mile mark.

On that basis you could make a note of pet friendly hotels along your route in a particular area and ring ahead as you go.

Fastest route is 2700 miles - US-101/I-580/I-5/CA-58/I-40. Driving 6 to 7 hours a day (PLUS stops) will make it a 6 day drive. 2 pet-friendly hotel chains that come to mind are Motel 6 and La Quinta.

Breaking this up into exactly 6 days, my mapping software suggests overnights near:

Mojave CA
    Between Flagstaff/Winslow AZ
    Tucumcari NM
    Henryetta OK
    Jackson TN

EDIT: Dave, it appears that the start and end points for this trip have changed!

8. Default

Thank you--and the destination has changed from previous thread.It was Savannah, Ga. and now is Asheville N.C.Got it.

Got it. Apologies that I missed the fact that the end point had changed, but much remains the same.

The fact remains that whether the route, destination point, or anything else has changed from your original post, it is the same trip and all questions regarding the trip stays in one thread. That's how things work around here, so please keep all questions here as requested.

Got it ?