1. Default Arizona to Oregon and Washington then to Michigan via Montana

My parents winter in Arizona and would like to see Oregon and Washington "on the way home" to Michigan for the summer. So this would be mid May trip. They have never been to Oregon, Washington or Montana (hence the emphasis on those states). A couple of years ago they did a California coast trip getting up as far north as the redwoods so California is not a "sight-seeing" factor in planning the trip. I know they want to see Crater Lake and Seattle but not having been to those states myself I am finding it a little overwhelming trying to figure out what route and things they should stop to see. I love planning trips and help them with the logistics and giving them ideas of what there is to do. There style of travel is to spend a lot of time driving and a little time stopping to see things. Not the preferred travel method for a lot of people but it works for them. Can anyone help me out with a route to get started on? I did a mapquest and it looks like it shoots them up through California through Sacramento up into Oregon with a little jog over to Crater Lake and then back up heading to Seattle. It doesn't give them any coast time in Oregon or Washington. Having done highway 1 in California will they be missing things if they don't go to the coast in Oregon and Washington or should I route them over that way?

Welcome!

You need to be aware that in May, there is only one road open into Crater Lake (62), and the rim drives will not be open yet. They will only be able to get to Rim Village.

3. Default

Can you see anything then or is it not worth going? If it's not worth it would it be better in late Sept/early Oct or is that too late already? I could try to talk them into doing this trip in the fall on their way back to Arizona.

I went to Crater Lake in late September and it was fabulous. May is just a bit too early in the season for full access to the high mountain parks - such as Yosemite, Crater Lake, Lassen, Glacier, Yellowstone, and Rocky Mountain. What they might want to do in May is hit the southern Utah parks and come across on a more southerly route.

You can certainly see Crater Lake in May, but only from one aspect - the village. It's worth waiting till you can actually drive around the whole rim.

5. Default

Thanks. I'll let them know and see what they want to do. They have done the Utah route before (and loved it by the way). I think they are trying to see the few remaining states left for them to have been to all 50. They've done Hawaii and Alaska. I think they only have Washington, Oregon, Montana, Maine and maybe Vermont & NH left.

What are the other "Must See" places in Oregon and Washington to put on the route?

If they want to go to Seattle, I'd probably go up the coast and maybe go through Olympic.