1. Default Site seeing from San Francisco

My wife and I will be returning from Kauai and would like to stop over in San Francisco on our way back to Texas. This will be sometime in the first two weeks of October 2011. We will have six days to see some sights. We plan to rent a car and drive but we are having a hard time trying to decide how to spend the time. We have never been to lake Tahoe, Yosemite or seen the Giant Sequoia trees not to mention San Fransciso or Hwy 1. Our prefence is the great outdoors instead of the city but do we have time to take in these three (Tahoe, Yosemite, Sequoias) or should we eliminate one of them. - Suggestions and hints about the area would be appreciated - Thanks.

Default North or South.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Does "Site seeing from San Francisco" mean you want to do day trips or will you tour for 6 days away from the City? Does the 6 days include site seeing in SF ? It's a wonderful City with Lots of great things to do, including a tour to Alcatraz Island, brilliant !

You could visit all 3 with a 6 day trip, but I would plan on spending a couple of days in Yosemite, it's breathtakingly beautiful ! You could head North over the Golden gate bridge and through the Napa valley to Lake Tahoe and then head South on 395 to Lee Vining and take the Tioga pass [CA120] over the Sierra Nevada into Yosemite and then South to Sequoia NP.

Another option would be to head South on Highway 1 around Big Sur towards Cambria and then cut inland to Sequoia NP, North to Yosemite and back to SF.

From Texas to Kauai to San Francisco--what a trip!

I have lived in northern California for 45 years, and the first thing I'll say is that you have picked a good time of year to travel here. The area will be between seasonal extremes, although temperatures at Tahoe (elev 6200') in October can be cool, and you might get snow.

To me, a visit to California isn't complete without stops at Yosemite National Park and San Francisco. Yosemite will probably be crowded; just live with it. Yosemite is a big park, and Yosemite Valley, which is quite scenic and photogenic, should be a main stopping point.

Like you, I prefer the great outdoors. I also hate to rush road trips, and I'm a great believer in getting out of the car often and looking around--small towns and back roads can often be surprising.

All that's by way of saying that your suggested options involve a lot of driving, and if it was me, I'd live it up in San Francisco and tie in a trip to Yosemite.

Have a good trip.

Bill

4. Default Thanks -

Our plans are to tour for 6 days- So much of nature we want to see that I don't know how much time we will spend in the city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Does "Site seeing from San Francisco" mean you want to do day trips or will you tour for 6 days away from the City? Does the 6 days include site seeing in SF ? It's a wonderful City with Lots of great things to do, including a tour to Alcatraz Island, brilliant !

You could visit all 3 with a 6 day trip, but I would plan on spending a couple of days in Yosemite, it's breathtakingly beautiful ! You could head North over the Golden gate bridge and through the Napa valley to Lake Tahoe and then head South on 395 to Lee Vining and take the Tioga pass [CA120] over the Sierra Nevada into Yosemite and then South to Sequoia NP.

Another option would be to head South on Highway 1 around Big Sur towards Cambria and then cut inland to Sequoia NP, North to Yosemite and back to SF.