Default NY, Chicago --> New Orleans advice.

Hey guys,

Planning to come over in June from Sydney for 3 weeks.

Have two options:

- Fly into NY for a few days then fly to Chicago and explore. From then hire a car and drive down to New Orleans through Memphis, St Loius ect....

- Fly into Chicago. Spend a few days in the city. Fly to NY and hang there for upto 5 days. Then drive down the east coast through New Jersey, Washington DC, the Appalachians, to Atlanta, and then head west to New Orleans.

We're looking for good scenery, interesting towns to explore and places along the way we can get some real deal american food. (authentic BBQ ect...) Also a route which goes via some good rollercoaster parks would be a bonus!

Any tips, advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)

Tucson, AZ

Default Personal Choice

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I think that you can achieve your goals with either option, but if it were me I would make the drive from New York down to New Orleans using side roads in the main. Although it is somewhat longer, you have plenty of time and it just offers more variety by starting in a large city on the east coast, passing through Pennsylvania Dutch Country, heading down the Appalachians into the Deep South and Gulf Coast. That would give you a chance to sample many different local cuisines, see some great scenery, and experience a variety of small towns. Your route would basically follow I-78/I-81/I-75/I-59/I-10 but don't feel compelled to use those roads. You'll be much better off wandering the 'old' US highway system, some state roads, and even special roads such as the Blue Ridge Parkway that are slow enough for you to savor the countryside.

AZBUCK - appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I think we have definitely decided to drive from NY. I reckon we will leave between 12-15 days to get to NO, is that a reasonable amount of time you think?

Someone suggested a route roughly like this:

Is there anything major we'd be missing out by roughly following this? This is kind of a last minute idea so still a lot of research to be done!

Tucson, AZ

Default Roughly

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The key word there is roughly. That route is roughly the same as the one I outlined and will be roughly similar to any route linking New York and New Orleans (that's even moderately straight). Sp now comes the fun part, making your route go to the places you want to see. Note that GoogleŽ Maps has a 'drag and drop' function that lets you move the route around as you wish. Some places along the way that you may wish to include but which are not currently on the route your friend suggested include Annapolis and the Chesapeake Bay area, some of the caves of northwestern Virginia, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Monticello, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Callaway Gardens and FDR's Little White House in Georgia, the Talladega Scenic Drive, and the Gulf Islands National Seashore among many, many other options and depending on what interests you.

True - time to start researching hard and see what's out there. Thanks for the tips. :)