1. Default Lake Tahoe, Big Sur

We are planning a trip from Carlsbad, CA to Lake Tahoe, and then on to Big Sur. We're going in early April. We plan to stay 3 nights in Tahoe, and 2-3 in Big Sur. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping to get help with:

What's the best route from the San Diego area to Lake Tahoe? We're staying in Tahoe City.

We're traveling with kids, and would like to make an overnight stop somewhere along the way. Any suggestions?

I just saw that there is a road closure in Big Sur due to a landslide. I'm not familiar with the area, but it looks like this will affect our drive from Tahoe to Pfeiffer State Park. Any suggestions for the best way in?

Thanks in advance!

South of England.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

From Carlsbad to Tahoe you can go up the West side of the Sierra's where you could possibly drive through either Sequoia NP or a quick visit to Yosemite, or the East side of the Sierra's on 395 through Lone Pine, Mammoth lakes and past Mono lake.

If Highway 1 isn't re-opened you will have to head South as far as Paso Robles and CA46 towards Cambria and North on CA1, or a 'shortcut' on the Fort Hunter Liggett road but that's [apparently] not for the faint of heart with it's narrow twists and turns with drop offs.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The road closure will have a very big impact on your trip. Short of taking a very rugged mountain road, your only option is to go all the way to Cambria in the south, and then head back north to Big Sur. So from Tahoe, you'd probably want to take I-5 south from Sacramento to CA-41/46 through Paso Robles. That's going to be a fairly tough drive to do in one day.

Going up to Tahoe, I'd take US-395 up the east side of the Sierras. There are plenty of towns to stop at along the way - and you could easily detour into Death Valley if you are taking 2 days.

Speaking of National Parks, with the slide on CA-1 right now, I'd lean towards coming back through Yosemite and Sequoia and saving the coast for another trip.