Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Pacific Coast Highway Collapses near Big Sur

Some very bad news for people looking to travel the along the Big Sur Section of the Pacific Coast Highway.

A 120 foot section of the road between Big Sur and Monterey collapsed and slid into the Ocean yesterday. Erosion is being blamed.

14266943_BG3.jpgpicture courtesy KION-TV

CA-1 is closed north of the Bixby Canyon Bridge, and it is now impossible to travel this great section of road without taking US-101 all the way down to Cambria and then doubling back north.

Repairs could take months.

Default Wow ! That's bad news

That's serious ! Could of been a bigger disaster had it happened during a weekend or anytime with heavier traffic. Looking at the photo's and footage that is going to be quite some operation to build that cliff face back up, secure it all and get the road open !

3. Default

Wow, thank you for the update! That's got to raise a few alarms eh?

Default Video report

Default Feauturing this route this week

Dave,

Thanks for the timely post -- We've been featuring Peter's article about the Big Sur this week!

Mark

Wink Not guilty !

Blame Michael !!

The Naciemiento-Fergusson road through Fort Hunter Liggett is available for a detour, as long as you can handle a rugged mountain road. This is probably 50 miles north of Cambria.

I read some other stories, and it may not be closed as long as you might think. One possibility that's being talked about is a temporary bypass using a private access road. Due to the timing of this - tourist season getting ready to start - the locals are going to be putting a lot of pressure on Caltrans to expedite something, even if it's only a single lane.

Ughhh this sucks!! We are coming over from Australia next month and are driving from Monterey to Santa Barbara on the 3rd May. I was sooooo looking forward to this road as I reckon it would own the Great Ocean Road in Victoria. I was looking at the Fort Hunter Liggett detour but dont think our rental car would be able to handle the road?? We only have one day to drive from Monterey to Santa Barbara as we have to drop our car off by 4pm. Any advice on what we can do? If we start early we can do the 101 then backtrack back up Hw1?? *waaah

Doing Monterey to SB in a short day (finishing by 4) would have been tight even before the road closure. I'm sorry to tell you, there is no way to do it now under your timeline, and even if you could make it over the N-F road in the rental, you wouldn't have time for it. You're really just going to have to enjoy the other sections of the coast. Thankfully, there's still more than enough to fill up a day with what's left.

Default Hope so, but ..........

I read some other stories, and it may not be closed as long as you might think.
    I read those reports, but felt that it was early optimism after seeing the pictures and the fact the area is deemed unstable. With such a steep drop to one side with pretty much nothing there to build onto, I can't see it being a 'quick fix'. I certainly hope so though !

After the optimism comes the reality, but who knows ? [Caltrans are not sure at the moment, 'Indefinite' and 'Long term' are the words being used at this stage.]

Updated news report here, and here reports that it could be at least a Month.