1. Default Need Help in planning trip to the Southwest in July

Hello. My family and I are planning to visit the southwest this summer (July) by car and need some help in putting an itinerary together. We plan to travel for 3 weeks beginning on or about 7/10/11 and will leave from (and return to) Atlanta, GA. Some of our destinations include: Louisanna (New Orleans), Galveston, New Mexico, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and maybe Mt. Everest. Does this tentative itinerary sound reasonable? We have not made any hotel arrangements yet but are open for suggestions. Also, any other destinations along the way would be appreciated. I really need some help in putting this trip together and hope it's not too late. Thank you, Shelly from Atlanta

Default that's quite a detour

Quote Originally Posted by shellster View Post
    Some of our destinations include: Louisanna (New Orleans), Galveston, New Mexico, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and maybe Mt. Everest.
    Out of curiosity, how exactly are you planning on driving from Wyoming to Nepal? :)

I'm guessing you mean Mt. Rushmore?

That's a pretty lofty plan for 3 weeks. It's a loop that's about 6000 miles, which is a solid 10-12 days worth of full day drives. Throw in all of the places you want to see, and your time is going to get pretty limited pretty fast. You might consider cutting back the miles cutting out either California or Yellowstone. I think a loop out to CA and back, or out to the Grand Canyon and then North to Yellowstone and back are both pretty easy plans, but trying to do both may end up requiring a pace faster than you'll be able to enjoy.