1. Default 1st time road trip, New york - Miami, Miami - Las Vegas, need more stops.........

This will be my 1st road trip and 1st time in the usa. There are definatly 2 of us maybe a 3rd or 4th. We are around 25 years old so like good lively places.
    We will be starting at the beginning of August and landing in NYC, there we will be staying in NYC for 2 days and even renting out a Dodge Viper for $2000 for 1 day :).
    From there we will be hiring a normal car and driving down to miami where we will be getting a convertible car ready to start our journey across country. We will be having a night out in miami obviously :). I would like to go to New Orleans so we will be heading there from Miami. From here Im stuck with my planning. I want to see the Grand Canyon and end up in Vegas. Anybody got any suggestions which way or where to head from New Orleans? Any suggestions would be great.

Welcome!

I don't see the point in renting a Viper in NYC - that is a very car-unfriendly metro area. Why not rent one in Miami or out west where you can actually enjoy it more? I wouldn't even rent any type of car for local use around NYC, I'd use public transportation.

You do know that your car rental costs are going to be considerable if you are making a series of one-way rentals - you will be paying a dropoff charge on each one. Also, anyone under 25 years old will be paying a daily surcharge to drive a rental.

A convertible is only sufficient for 2 people at the most for a cross-country trip - there are only 2 convertibles in rental fleets here - Mustangs and Sebrings - and they have very small cramped back seats.

Not trying to pick your plans apart, but simply trying to show you some things you need to think about.

So - I'm not actually aware of any convertibles available for cross-country rental in NYC - what I might do is take the train to Washington DC or some other city where you can - and keep the car till you get to Las Vegas and rent the Viper for a day out there.

3. Default

thanks alot for these suggestions they make perfect sense. I want to see NYC and the flights are £400 to NYC from the uk or £900 to Miami so thats another good reason for going to NYC. how would you get from NYC to Miami? I spoke to a hire car company in Miami they said £220 english pound for the mustang for a week. then £500 for dropping in vegas and £25 per day for a younger driver which is think is a very good price tbh. I dont know alot about american geography but it looks an amazing place which ive always wanted to see. Do you have any suggestion on places to stop along the route or even which route to take?

4. Default Miami to Las Vegas, need stops.

A friend and I will be travelling across america in a convertible, starting in Miami and ending in vegas, the only thing I definatly want to see is the grand canyon, anybody got any good suggestions on a route through lively places?? We want to do it in about 5-6 days.

Moderator Note: Please Don't Create Multiple Threads About the Same Trip
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-16-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Merged Threads

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

With a trip to the Grand canyon, you have pretty much 6 day's of driving and a few hours at the Canyon so it's a case of choosing a route and finding places to stay along it that equals a reasonable day on the road. A 'reasonable day' is covering between 5 and 600 miles max and would be 9 to 10 hours on the road with time for short breaks. Not sure of what to recommend for 'lively' places but if New Orleans was a possibility you could look at stops around Tallahassee or Panama City, New Orleans, Dallas, Santa Rosa NM, Flagstaff [GC] and Vegas. You could of course go up through Memphis and Oklahoma, but only you can decide what appeals to you the most.

6. Default

ok sounds good, ive never been the us before so not sure how things work but as long as i have a basic route is it safe to just travel and then get accomodation wherever we end up? or is it best to plan where every stop will be? I dont want to plan too much you see as i want it to be more of an adventure than just following a plan!!

You shouldn't have much of a problem finding a room for the night as you go, many people 'wing it' and always find somewhere. The exceptions are popular tourist locations away from major City's, such as the Grand canyon where lodgings in the park can book up Month's in advance and become scarce in the nearby towns. If you know when you need/want to be in Vegas then it would be worth booking lodgings around GC IMO.

Even at the GC, you won't have any problem finding lodging in Flagstaff. You also should be able to find something, albeit a bit expensive, in Tusayan.