Default Advice for trip from LA to Fort Lauderdale?

This will be my first big road trip over 5 hours. I'll be with my girlfriend and dog. This is mostly a moving trip, but I'd like to stop for a nice or interesting site and meal here and there--especially in new orleans.

There are the spots I've thought to stop and sleep at. Maybe one stop we could sleep in our car instead of a hotel? Begin - Los Angeles > Tucson AZ> Van Horn or Ft. Stockton TX > San Antonio > New Orleans > Gainesville FL> End - Ft Lauderdale.

Any advice on that trip? Maybe better places to stop (taking into account price/safety/convenience)?

Welcome!

Without sightseeing, you are looking at 5 full days. Suggested overnights to equalize the days:

Tucson
    Ft. Stockton
    Beaumont TX
    Pensacola FL

If you want to spend any time in NOLA, start adding days.

Thanks, I'd like a full day to explore NOLA. Having a dog with me will hamper my efforts to go inside many places.

Are Ft. Stockton and Beaumont safe, good choices? I read a lot of negative info Beaumont, including high amounts of pollution from all the oil refiners.

Fort Stockton and Beaumont are perfectly safe and reasonable. More than 100,000 people call Beaumont home, so to say it's unsafe stop there for a night is a little silly. It might not be a place you'd chose to live, but I don't think that it is possible for there to be so much pollution that spending the night there would be a hazard to your health. (And isn't worrying pollution when you are coming from Smog Angeles a bit of a contradiction anyway!)

Of course, that's really mostly an option based on even driving days. If you wanted to stop short in San Antonio, Austin, or Houston and then make a full day drive to New Orleans because you want to explore those cities, that certainly is possible and the ability to make those decision is the great part about a roadtrip!

Instead of Fort Stockton, would it be worth the short detour to stay in Alpine or Marathon? They seem to be a bit more interesting.

I really don't know anything about those towns, but if you just want to get off the freeway and take US-90 for a while, that's certainly something you could look at.

Just keep in mind the "short detour" isn't that short. Its those towns are about 70 miles south of Fort Stockton. You'd want to get off I-10 around Van Horn, and if you didn't cut back up to Ft Stockton, you'd be pretty much committed to US-90 all the way to San Antonio. That's not really a problem, although it would add some time. The interstate is West Texas is the only stretch of freeway in the US with an 80 mph speed limit, so you would be missing that!

Default Alternate Los Angeles to Florida Trip Route

What do you think of this route? I wouldn't be spending much time in each location. New Orleans is the town I want to see the most. Is the drive through Sedona worth the detour instead of going South to Tucson and through W Texas? This route would add on two hours.

Los Angeles, CA

Sedona, AZ

Tucumcari, NM

Fort Worth, TX

New Orleans, LA

Gainesville, FL

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Moderator Note: Please Don't Create Multiple Threads About the Same Trip
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-20-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Merged Threads

On my road trip east, I'm stopping in NOLA for my first time--very excited for it.

My final destination is Fort Lauderdale. I can either roll into NOLA at around 9 pm, and leave for Pensacola, FL at around 7 pm the next day--get there at 11 PM, then take off for Fort Lauderdale in the AM

OR

Spend a second night in NOLA and then drive the 13 or 14 hours straight to Fort Lauderdale.

Any advice?

Default Break it up.

It's almost 850 miles and [I would estimate] 15 + hours of driving between NOLA and FL which is too much to do safely in a straight shot and more than professional drivers are permitted to do by law. It's just a too long an amount of time to keep your concentration levels where they need to be to stay safe on the road. Tiredness is a major cause of fatal and non fatal accidents everywhere and besides, it will turn into a gruelling trip and be no fun at all.

Thirteen hours is nowhere near realistic for the journey and has most likely come from a mapping program that doesn't need to stop for food, gas, bathroom breaks or to stretch he limbs and clear the mind. It presumes you can keep near to the speed limit the whole journey without stopping !

Make the stop and enjoy the ride !