1. Default New York to Niagara Falls

We are from Australia,(Steve and Mandy) in our late 40ís, We like to drive, I like to take Photographs ranging from general interest, macro(insects, Fungi) to Landscapes, Birds and wildlife whilst Mandy shops and relaxes  .We are active and donít mind a 1-2 km walk to check something out, but no serious hikes or tracks.

Hi,we've recently put together an itinerary for the West Coast with the help of your site(with thanks to Southwest Dave, Midwest Michael and Glc) and have been researching and reading up on the East Coast, our flights in and out of New York are booked, also,New York and Niagara accommodation are booked.

I sleep well whilst flying so we're going to kick off as soon as we pick up the vehicle at J.F.K.I've looked at google earth and related posts on this forum and the itinerary below is a rough result.Given the itinerary below ,are we in the ball park? The Thousand islands area looks amazing, should more time be spent here or what other places of interest should be taken into consideration?

Sun Oct-09 Day 1 Arrive from L.A 0600 J.F.K.....................??????/Indian Lake

Mon Oct-10 Day 2................................................. ........?????Clayton

Tues Oct-11 Day 3................................................. ........?Clarington(Canada)

Wed Oct-12 Day 4................................................. ........NIAGARA FALLS

Thur Oct-13 Day 5................................................. ....... NIAGARA FALLS

Fri Oct-14 Day 6................................................. ........????????????

Sat Oct-15-19 Day 7-11 .................................................. . NEW YORK

Sun Oct_20 Day 12....................Fly out J.F.K

Thanks

Steve and Mandy

Default Maintaining Flexibility

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Part of the reason we travel is to experience new things. But because they're new, one can't predict how much you will enjoy any particular site or activity. In addition, while you usually sleep well on overnight flights, there's no guarantee that you will do soon this particular fight. If you're tired, pull up for the morning/afternoon/evening, whatever is needed. There is no real need to pre-book all your accommodations, or if you do make reservations remember that they can generally be canceled on 24 hours notice or moved a day without penalty. This will also help if you decide to linger longer in the Thousand Islands area or just wander on the way back from Niagara Falls to New York and decide where to stay for the night when you find a particularly nice spot. As for a few ideas of options in that general area, have a read through this discussion.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks AZBuck , wont be driving fatigued,I operated a Towing Company for some years and have witnessed first hand(to many times) the outcome of what can result of not stopping for a break/sleep.

The Thousand island area looks amazing, we we're thinking of staying 2 nights there and hiring a boat for a day(weather permitting) to take in the area. If we we're to drive from Thousands islands straight to Niagara, is there an area on the Canadian side that we might drive through and think "Damn, wish we had more time"?

Trying to include the Taughannock Falls and Watkins Glen in the mix. At the moment we're looking at leaving Niagara early morning and after visiting Taughannock and Watkins ( I'm thinking this would take a full day) we're looking at accommodation in this area for the night. Do you have any suggestions for the drive back to New York,routes or attractions or points of interest on the way?

I realize these questions could fall into the "How long is a piece of string?" or
    "Different folks, different strokes" category, but, any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve & Mandy

Default Think Mile Thick Ice

The geology of northern New York and southern Ontario as dominated by the fact that around 15-20 thousand years ago this area was under a mile thick ice cap slowly flowing south. When it melted it left behind the Canadian Shield (ground down flatter than a pancake by the relentless movement of the ice). a whole lot of melted ice filing whatever depressions there were, and out where it's leading edge had been a whole lot of pulverized rock and sharp drops where softer rock had been worn away but harder rock remained. All this is by saying there won't be anything spectacular along the northern shore of Lake Ontario, but your plan to follow the southern edge of the Finger Lakes on the way back to New York is a good one. I loved Taughannock Falls when I lived in Ithaca. It's about a mile back in from the parking lot along the 'river' and although it's taller than Niagara, it doesn't have nearly the volume of water. You can also get to an overlook above the falls. Buttermilk Falls is another waterfall of an entirely different nature in the same area and the 12 waterfalls along a hiking trail in nearby Robert H Treman State Park. Watkins Glen offers a great hike up through the gorge including behind a small waterfall. Also, as noted in the previous discussion linked to above, Letchworth State Park is well worth a visit. If you take I-81/I-380/I-80 from Ithaca back to NYC, then you'll have a chance to check out the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area as well.

AZBuck

5. Default

Thanks AZBuck, I was a bit iffy about the drive from Thousand islands to Niagara on the Northern shore of lake Ontario and you've confirmed my reservations with your post .We've decided to cancel the Thousand islands and Adirondack region and concentrate on the Finger Lakes region. Rough Itinerary is below.

Sun Oct-09 Day 1 Arrive from L.A 0600 J.F.K to Binghamton

Take 280 (out of NY) to 80 thru Delaware Water Gap to 380 to 81 to Binghamton

Mon Oct-10 Day 2 Binghamton to Ithaca

86 to Owego, North on 38 to 96 thru Candor,Millseyville and Danby to Ithica

Tues Oct-11 Day 3 Ithica to Dansville

Wed Oct-12 Day 4 Dansville to NIAGARA FALLS

Thur Oct-13 Day 5........................................ ....... NIAGARA FALLS

Fri Oct-14 Day 6 Niagara to Cortland
    Taking in the Northern towns of the finger lakes,Canandaigua,Geneva,Seneca Falls, auburn and Skaneateles

Sat Oct-15 Day 7 Cortland .................................................. . NEW YORK

Sun Oct-16 Day 8................................................. .................New York

Mon Oct-17 Day 9................................................. .................New York

Tues Oct-18 Day 10................................................ ................New York

Wed Oct-19 Day 11................................................ ................New York

Sun Oct-20 Day 12....................Fly out J.F.K

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Steve & Mandy

I would not recommend that route out of NYC. I would recommend:

Take the Belt Pkwy (NY-27) out of JFK to the Verrazano Bridge. Take I-278 through Staten Island to NY-440 to the Outerbridge Crossing. Take I-287 to just north of I-78, then US-206 to I-80. This will keep you out of Manhattan!

7. Default

Thanks glc, we'll take suggested route out of NY. We're very excited about this trip and with all the tips and suggestions from the advisers on this forum, we've been able to craft a workable trip plan for the West coast and this East coast section (work in progress) is looking fantastic so far.

Thanks

Steve & Mandy

8. Default

Hi all,

Thought I'd raise this thread up again.

We will be driving from J.F.K(Sun) to Niagara(Wed) during the Columbus Holiday weekend and were planning to book accommodation on the run,is this advisable or should we booking in advance,considering it's a long weekend?

Thanks

Steve & Mandy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve and Mandy View Post
    We will be driving from J.F.K(Sun) to Niagara(Wed) during the Columbus Holiday weekend and were planning to book accommodation on the run,is this advisable or should we booking in advance,considering it's a long weekend?
    It really all depends on how fussy you are with where you may end up. I rarely ever book anything, as I much prefer the freedom of winiging it. On the other hand, in this very popular area over a holiday weekend, even I could be persuaded to book the Sunday.

Lifey

10. Default

Thanks Lifey, I'll look at booking the Sunday night and possibly Monday also.If it was just myself on the trip I'd wing it,I'm not to fussed where I lay my head, but the better half requires nice surroundings :-)

Thanks again