Default First time roadtrip: Yosemite To Grand Canyon

Hey everyone,
    Me and my friends are planning a roadtrip this summer and a part of the trip that is difficult for us is Yosemite to Grand Canyon. we have 2 questions:
    1) How long is advisable to stay in Yosemite, 2 days? 3 days?
    2) What are the best sights between Yosemite and Grand Canyon. I've read about death valley and hoover dam, are they worth a stop and is there more?

We don't wanna spend more than 5-6 days on Yosemite and the trip to the grand canyon (so not including the visit to the GY) and we don't have to stop by Las vegas, as we will already end our trip there.

Does anyone have a good idea about an interesting and feasible schedule? All your responses are really appreciated!

Best Wishes,
    Arne Bartelsman

Default Small piece of a big puzzle.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It is difficult to make meaningful suggestions with only a part of the full picture to work with. To go from Grand canyon to Death valley to Yosemite via Hoover dam means you will be heading towards Vegas, but if your trip is ending in Vegas you might be able to see Death valley on the way back.

We don't do 'best' of anything as that is an individual thing, but you have options and Yes, Death valley and Hoover dam could be considered as "worthwhile stops' for most people, including me ! However you could head North from the South rim towards Zion NP and across US6 through Tonopah to Yosemite via Tioga pass. It would really help to know where you have been and where you are going after this section of your trip.

The minimum I would recommend for Yosemite is 2 day's, but you could spen a week or more in this amazing place, so it's a case of how it all fits together.

Default big variables

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think the problem we're going to have in giving you good advice is that you've only told us a small piece of your total plan, and the best advice is going to depend in large part on what else you are already doing.

For example, the amount of time to spend in Yosemite depends in large part on how much time you have total. Death Valley is a favorite stop for many although depending upon when "in summer" you're going, the weather may make it uncomfortable for a long stop there, but for that matter, the exact time of the trip may also mean that your routes over the Sierras could be limited.

The route that would go over Hoover Dam would basically take you through Vegas, but so would the direct route back from the South Rim of the GC to Vegas. You might look at going into Utah, at places like Zion and Bryce, or visiting the North Rim.

That gives you some ideas, but if we knew more about your overall plan, I think we could do more to give you more useful help.

Default technically speaking...

While you can still drive over Hoover dam -- it's no longer on the highway -- the road ends just beyond the Arizona rim. But I know this is minor point -- Yeah, the distances you are describing are referring to will require more days than I think you're allowing.

Mark

Hey everyone,

First of all thank you for taking time to respond. I'll try to give some more information.
    We're going on a road-trip for the whole of july.
    We fly to LA, then go along the coast to visit all the small beach-places and then spend some time in SF, we planned around 2 weeks for this.
    After SF we were thinking about chilling out on the beach maybe 1 or 2 days more and then go to Yosemite park. All we know about yosemite so far is that we really want to do the half dome (just like the rest of the world).
    From there we will drive to Grand Canyon, where we have already a 3 day trip planned on the south rim. This is a long ride so if there are sights on the way we can stop there and spread the drive out over 2 or 3 days, but this is obviously only worth it if there is enough to see on the way. From there we have to go straight back to las vegas (to hand in the rental car) where we will stay for another 3 days.

So basically, from the moment we leave San Fran we find it difficult to plan ahead. Unfortunately this is necessary because we have to make camping reservations (right?) and request a half dome permit for Yosemite.

I hope this makes it easier to give some advice, although i already really appreciate what has been written.

Best wishes

Well there is certainly plenty to do and see from Yosemite to the Grand canyon. If you wanted to do the journey over 2 or 3 day's then I would drive over Tioga pass [CA120] to exit Yosemite by the East entrance and then head South on 395 to Lone Pine and into Death valley, which will be HOT ! You can go through Pahrump from Death valley junction on State line/Ash Meadows Rd to 160 and around the Southern edge of Vegas. If you had a little longer, and you certainly have some available if you shortened the coastal part of your trip a little, you could explore other avenues. As mentioned previously, you could go through on US6 through Tonopah and perhaps the ET Highway [NV375] to Southern Utah and Zion and Bryce canyon NP's and head South via Page to the South rim of the Grand canyon and back to Vegas via I40. You could consider Sequoia NP, South of Yosemite either heading there from the coast and up to Yosemite and over Tioga to Death valley, or after Yosemite and go around the Southern edge of the Sierra's.

All are viable options depending on how much time you want to spend during this part of your trip so you should look around the forums and discuss your options, then we can help 'fine tune' your decision. My personal choice would be to head for Zion and Bryce canyon and perhaps Monument valley on the way to GC, but I would allow a minimum of 4 days from Yosemite to GC to do it.