Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 6 English lads driving from Seattle to Washington DC on football tour...help ! ! !

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so here goes........there are 6 English lads ( approx ages from 35 - 55 ) who are flying into Seattle ( to watch our English football team - Manchester United on pre-season tour ) around the 18th July2011, we plan to stay in Seattle for a few days and to watch the match, then start our West to East trip ending up in DC approx 10 days later (where our team plays again) We have done other road trips in the USA following our team and had fantastic times stopping off in "smalltown" USA and meeting wonderful people...............right is there anyone out there who can help us plan this road trip..... route to take ? places to stop / see ? best car hire deals ? buy a car and sell it in DC ? I have read about "Car Deliverey" is this something we could do ? how much will it cost in petrol/gas ? Any help will be greatly appriciated. Peter.

Default This and that.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

There are many members who will help you plan your trip, [it's what we do] but as a group you need to sit down and take the first steps in planning based on common interests, there is never a single 'best' route as there are thousands of options and our 'tastes' vary. So look around the forums and road trip planning pages and start getting some dots on the map and then we can help fill in the blanks. It will take you about 5 days for a cross country trip so you will have a little time to play with. Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, Black Hills, Badlands would all be possibilities if they are your 'thing'. The Map centre will help you create routes and find attractions along them so take a look there also.

Car hire deals are always changing so it's a case of shopping around to see what there is available for your time of travel. You will need to consider 'One way drop off fee's" when pricing. Buying a car without a US address is nigh on impossible and with such a short stay is unpractical anyway. Buying at retail, registering, insuring and getting all the paper work in order and then having to sell it at wholesale the other end for a fraction of what you paid is costly and time consuming. Unless of course you are Jeremey Clarkson, the Hamster and Captain slow !! Lol.

Car delivery, I doubt would be an option either. They are quite rare and most likely have regular drivers. There are time limits to deliver them and set dates and then you have the added complication of 6 of you travelling with your luggage. That begs the question, what type of transport ? You would need a Mini van at the very least with your luggage to consider. Until you know what you are renting and routes etc it's impossible to work out fuel costs, but a ball park figure to start out with will be in the $500 region.

Once you have researched and got some details down and have new questions, just ask away !

Default Seattle to Yellowstone............ in one day ???

Hi all,

4 of us are planning to drive from Seattle to Yellowstone, in one day. Any idea on the best route and how long this will take us ??? Things to see on the way ???

When we arrive at Yellowstone, what part of Yellowstone will we be in ? ( Sorry we are English and have not got a clue where we are / will be ! ) What will we be able to see in Yellowstone ? Any good / cheap places to stay ? We are only in Yellowstone for the rest of that day + a few hours ( 5ish hours ) the next day

we then plan to drive from Yellowstone to Washington DC..........any ideas for this part of the trip please ? ? ? We have 10 days to do this trip !

Thanks in advance for your help ;-))

Moderator Note: Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 07-01-2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: merged

4. Default

Hi 410hillcross,

It is approx 740 miles from Seattle, Washington to the west entrance to Yellowstone National Park. That is approx. 10 1/2 hours of just driving. This doesn't take into account stopping a couple times for gas, pit stops and eating. I would not recommend trying this in one day even with several drivers.

You don't have to worry about things to see on the way from Seattle to Yellowstone because you just aren't going to have the time for it!

What will we be able to see in Yellowstone ? Any good / cheap places to stay ? We are only in Yellowstone for the rest of that day + a few hours ( 5ish hours ) the next day
    You really won't have time to see anything in Yellowstone on the evening you arrive so if you make it to West Yellowstone find lodging there. I'd recommend going only as far as Butte, Montana which would be 600 miles from Seattle and then drive into Yellowstone early the second day. If you only have 5 hours for Yellowstone, you will probably just want to make your way going south to Old Faithful and stop at the Fountain Paint Pots and a few of the other geyser basins and then spend a couple hours walking around the Old Faithful Geyser area. Depending on your route leaving the park, you could see Yellowstone Lake.

Utahtea

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You are really severely overestimating how much you can do. It's 750 miles from Seattle to the north gate of Yosemite. That's an extremely full day on the road that will take you a minimum of 13-14 hours to complete. And that doesn't include any time driving within the park itself.

That's simply not going to leave any extra time for stops along the way, and its also not going to leave any time at all to see any of the park on the same day.

In fact, while if this was a one day sprint where you were planning to stay in Yellowstone for a few days, the miles wouldn't be a huge issues - but make no mistake, 750 miles is a very long day on the road, and it really won't leave you in a good position to have much fun the next day. The fact that you plan to continue east on the next day is very much a problem, as you're all going to be miserable by day 3 at this pace.

As it is, you need 5-6 days to drive from Seattle to DC, so if this is a one way trip, you really don't need to be on quite this kamakozi pace. I'd recommend, as Utahtea did, that you stop around Butte or Boseman, and then plan to spend most of day 2 in Yellowstone, only making it a little ways east to say Cody, or at the most Sheridan/Buffalo.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 07-01-2011 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Eliminated question that was answered after finding original thread

Default Clarity to avoid temptation.

I have to agree with the above comments. It's too far to do in a day and there is no real need to rush these early days of the trip like this. Michael's estimate of 13-14 hours is more realistic in 'real world' terms. I am not sure if Utahtea may have made a typo error, but just for clarity, it wouldn't be possible to drive 740 miles in 10 1/2 hours of 'just driving' without breaking the law, even if it was possible to do it nonstop [which obviously it isn't]. You would have to be averaging over 70mph from the moment you turn the key untill the moment you turn it off again.

Quote Originally Posted by 410hillcross View Post
    Hi all,
    Any good / cheap places to stay ?
    I have no personal recommendations, but you can search towns all along your route using the RTA Hotel link. Nearby Gardiner appear's to have some budget friendly options if you scroll down the page, but generally speaking the nearer to the main attractions the dearer the lodging options.

Default If you are extremely lucky.... yes!

Quote Originally Posted by 410hillcross View Post
    I have read about "Car Deliverey" is this something we could do?
    Start looking at the available cars now, and if you see one going from Seattle to the east coast (may not be DC), then book it. There is a charge for them to hold the car, and they will typically hold it for a week or two. True, you are restricted to miles and time, but it is quite generous. And even if you go over, the charge is minimum, if they even check. It was 25c mile, and where I went over, no one ever checked. But even if they do, and you go 200 over, it is going to cost you $50. Big Deal!!

In 2001 I drove one of these vehicles from Seattle to Connecticut, and then took the bus to NYC and DC. I took basically the route outlined by Southwest Dave. It was a nine day trip, and the mileage allowance was about 15% on top of the actual mileage. I actually made a day stop over in St Paul MN then drove to CT via Chicago and route 6 through PA. The only other restrictions I recall were not to drive before 6am or after 10pm, and not to cross the border into Canada. All it cost me was the fuel and tolls.

It is feasible, if you are sensible and disciplined enough to pace your mileage and your time. You can end up seeing a lot. Over two visits to the US I drove some two dozen of these cars, covering more than 40000 miles

Lifey

Default No, not so!

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Car delivery, I doubt would be an option either. They are quite rare and most likely have regular drivers.
    Autodriveaway have three methods of shipping vehicles. On a flat-back truck, whiich is very expensive. Driven by a professional driver, not cheap, but cheaper than the truck. You have to pay for the driver's accommodation, etc. along the way, as well as the driver's return journey. (One office actually asked me to become one of their drivers.)

The third, and cheapest way is by casual drivers. In this case the car is not shipped until the company finds a holiday maker or traveller who is interested in driving this car to its new location.

I have seen cars on the list which had a 'ready date' two or three weeks ago, and which were still waiting for a driver. If you check the Seattle office right now, there are three cars, and one has been wating for around a week or so, for a driver. Two are going to the east coast, neither terribly far from DC.

If you see a car which suits your time frame and destination, I suggest you pick up the phone and speak with the office in question. I would also be checking the car list every day.

Lifey

Lodging in and around Yellowstone in July is quite expensive, and a lot of it will already be booked out. I just checked my personal favorite little motel in West Yellowstone for availability on July 20th, and the only rooms left have single queen or king beds, maximum occupancy 2, and are over $100 a night. I got a room there early last October with 2 full beds for $69 on a walk-in.