1. Default Atlanta to Los Angeles in April!

Hi All,

I'm planning a road trip from Atlanta to Los Angeles in April. I'm looking to spend around 4 days for the entire trip. I would prefer a more scenic and safe route, yet getting to LA in time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Welcome!

If you only have 4 days, your choices are very limited and you will have to stay pretty much on Interstate highways. You will have to either take US-78 from Birmingham to Memphis, or you will have to deal with the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

I personally would go via Memphis. I-20/US-78/I-40/I-15 into LA. I-20/I-10 will take you through Dallas, and it's VERY desolate through West Texas.

Welcome to the RTA forum!

You can certainly do this trip in 4 days, but it will be a full 4 days and it really isn't enough time to do anything but take a direct interstate route.

In this case, there are a couple of options, but basically you'd either go up to I-40 and take that across or go down to I-10 and use that as your main route. Personally, I'd probably lean towards I-40 for scenery, but there are plenty of things to enjoy on I-10 too.

4. Default

Thanks for the replies guys!

Upon doing some researching, I figured it was either the I-40 or the I-10. Since it's not a pure roadtrip (I'm relocating to LA), I want to pick a route where I can see the inner America while I'm on the road. I've never done a road trip like this before.

That could very easily be done if you can take more than 4 days.

6. Default

so my preliminary plan is:

Day 1: Atlanta to Memphis
    Day 2: Memphis to Oklahoma City
    Day 3: Oklahoma City to Albuquerque
    Day 4: Albuquerque to Phoenix
    Day 5: Phoenix to Los Angeles

How does that route sound? Missing much? Must see stuff in those cities?
    I'm also considering adding Grand Canyon to the mix (Day 4.)

Any comments? Thanks.

That's a reasonable plan, except for the Grand Canyon part. Albq to Phoenix can be done in a day, but adding the Grand Canyon too it just won't give you any time to stop there. If you want to add the Grand Canyon, then I'd skip Phoenix, and spend the night in Williams or Flagstaff. That's still going to be a quick stop at the Canyon, but at least you'd have a few hours to enjoy it. Then drive directly back to LA via I-40/I-15.

Otherwise, you've got a pretty relaxed pace. You should have a nice amount of time to stop in Memphis, and the leg to OK City is pretty comfortable too. Even your longest day, to Abq, is going to be about 10 hours so that should let you take a couple short breaks from the road.

8. Default

Thanks for the reply. How's the scenary on the I-40?

9. Default

When driving from Albuquerque to Phoenix, which route offers a better scencary/safety/speed? The I 40 to I 17? or the I40 and the AZ 377/277 route that cuts through the national parks?

Get off I-40 in Holbrook. Take AZ-77 south to AZ-377. Take that to AZ-277 to AZ-260 to Payson, then take AZ-87 to Phoenix. This is actually just as fast, if not faster, as taking I-17 because it's 45 miles shorter. A trucker turned me on to this "shortcut" and it's a very scenic and safe drive.