1. Default summer roadtrip between maryland and colorado

my husband and i are taking our 3 children (ages 7, 10 and 15) from maryland to breckenridge, co to visit my sister this summer. we're taking as much time as we can (unfortunately only about 2 1/2 weeks) to drive there and back with about a weeks stay in co in the middle. we've planned to take the first week to get there, driving through nashville, dallas, and santa fe, with 1 or 2 day stops to visit each and to break up the drive. we'll have a lot less time to get back (4 days max) and i'd like to take the northern route, but not sure what to see or how to break up the drive. i'd appreciate any suggestions, including places to stay, camp, and see along the way!

Tucson, AZ

Default Reality's Ugly Head

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Unfortunately, you are right on the hairy edge of what you can do in your time frame. If you really plan to spend a day each in Nashville, Dallas and Santa Fe, then you have no time for anything else on the drive west and you have no time for a second day in any of those cities. And even at that your driving days will be long, monotonous nearly 600 mile slogs at best, bringing you up short of Nashville and short of Santa Fe on the days you'll be driving from Maryland and Dallas respectively. So unless you seriously trim that portion of your trip, suggestions for stops along the way aren't warranted.

The return trip is, perhaps, in a bit better shape. If you plan to only take 3 days, then you're in the same boat of trying to cram too many miles into too little time. If you can add that 4th day, then you would have time to make 2 or 3 stops of no more than 2-3 hours each. In that case I'd suggest that you plan on a short stop at Old Fort Hays, KS; spending a fair amount of time at the Museum of Westward Expansion and the Arch in St. Louis, and then a final stop, time permitting and depending on your interests, at either the Indianapolis Motor Speedway or the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH. But the main thing you need to grasp is the how little time four days or even a week is when faced with a drive as big as the on you have planned.

Last edited by AZBuck; 03-11-2011 at 09:29 PM.