1. Default Advice on New York to Juneau

First of all, I respect everyone on this site very much, so I'll just come out and say I wish I had done more homework before posting.

I'm considering an AmeriCorps position in Alaska, but they don't provide any relocation assistance. So naturally, I see an opportunity for a road trip.

I'm looking for advice on routes from New York City area to Juneau. I've seen nearly all of the lower 48 (aside from North Dakota, Tennessee and Kentucky for some reason) so I'm thinking I'd like to stick to Canada mostly. Also, If anyone has thoughts on how much this would cost it would be helpful.

I've done some serious road trips in the past — up to two-and-a-half months on the road — and I'd likely be camping most nights and eating out of a cooler. Still, I'm really worried about the cost. I also imagine I'd have to do the trip fairly quickly. Any advice would really be appreciated, but please keep negativity to yourself. Thank you.

Well, just to be certain you understand there is a big problem with any roadtrip to Juneau: The city is waterlocked! The only access to the city by car is Via the Ferry (specifically the Alaska Marine Highway).

You've got a few options for where to get on the Ferry, starting in Washington State, and then farther up into BC, or go all the way up to Haines and then back down. but that is something you'll have to think about - including the extra cost of bringing your car onto the boat.

Cost wise, I'd think the basic budget should be very much along the same lines as your past trips - and you'll have a better idea of how frugal you've been able to be than us. I will say the more time you spend in Canada, the more your trip will cost, because of significantly higher fuel costs, and higher costs in general due to the current weak value of the US dollar.

Default Not Quick, Not Cheap

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You're probably looking at 7 days at least for the driving portion to Skagway and then another day for (and the expense of) the ferry from Skagway to Juneau. Canadian gas prices are currently running about C$1.10/liter or around $4/gal, and you can expect both those and American prices to climb by another 20-25% in the near future, So for a car that gets 20 mpg you should count on spending around $900-950 in gas, plus $150 for the ferry (you and the car). The shortest route id I-80 to Chicago (unfortunately, tolls from Youngstown to Janesville), then I-94 up into North Dakota, US-281/US-52 to the Canadian border and SK-39/SK-6/SK-11 to Saskatoon, the Trans Canada (16) to Spruce Grove, AB and AB-43/BC-2 to Dawson Creek and the Alaska Highway (BC-97/YU-1). Finally, YU-8/BC-2 and AK-98 to Skagway. It's been a while since I've done any serious long haul RoadTripping in Canada, but when I did many towns had what were called transient camps. These were often just local parks where you could park overnight and sleep in your car. If you were still around in the morning when the local constable came by, he might ask for a contribution 'of a few bucks.

AZBuck

Canadian gas prices are currently running about C$1.10/liter or around $4/gal, and you can expect both those and American prices to climb by another 20-25% in the near future,
    That's actually a bit low.

According to gas buddy, the average price in Canada is now $1.20/liter, which works out to about $4.50/gallon. ($1US = $1Canada) Of course, for ever dime per liter the price of gas goes up, that's another 38 cents per gallon.

I mostly noticed the difference because last summer when I traveled through Canada I was paying between $1.05 and $1.10, and obviously prices have gone up quite a bit since then.