1. Default Dallas to Calgary towing 4x8 u haul trailer with CRV

Hi all,
    I am moving from Dallas to Calgary and would like to plan a road trip as part of the move.I have a Honda CRV(FWD) 2009 model, automatic transmission. We are planning to tow a 4 X 8 trailer.

The route is Goodland,Rapid City, Thermopolis,Yellowstone,Butte,Coutts & Calgary(9 days with one day in yellow stone). The article in ehow was the basis of the plan.

Is it feasible as I am planning to move by the end of April/beginning of May? How will be the road conditions ?
    Is it possible to see all these places while towing a trailer, like getting in the parking lots etc.?
    Will it kill my CRV?

I would like to see all these places since I am not sure when I will get another opportunity.

Please advise.

Joplin MO

The maximum towing capacity of a CR-V is 1500#. A 4x8 U-Haul cargo trailer weighs 850# empty. Do the math, you will see that you can't put much in it.

With that said, I'm afraid that not much of Yellowstone will be accessible yet.

Spring Road Openings:
    The North Entrance to Northeast Entrance at Silver Gate and Cooke City, Montana is open all year. Please note that this road is closed to east/west travel just east of Cooke City from late fall to early spring.

Once an Entrance/Road opens, it is open 24 hours a day. The only exceptions are caused by road construction and weather-related restrictions.

Roads will open to motorized, wheeled vehicles as follows:
    April 15, 2011ŚWeather permitting, west-side roads open to motor vehicles. Visitors will be able to travel by car through the park's North & West Entrances to Norris, Madison, Canyon, & Old Faithful beginning at 8:00 a.m.
    May 6, 2011ŚWeather permitting, the road linking Canyon, Fishing Bridge, & the East Entrance opens to wheeled vehicles.
    Would I tow a trailer with a CR-V? Probably not. It's going to be very hard on the transmission in the mountains.

3. Default

Thank you.
    I donot have much stuff and I will be within the towing capacity of crv.I did go through the Yellowstone road openings guide and was hoping roads will be accessible by the end of April. Also I was planning for just have one day in Yellowstone.

If it is going to be hard on the transmission, then I guess I will have to drop the plan of towing. I donot want to spoil the vehicle for the sake of saving a few bucks.

I greatly appreciate your advice. I am also looking for any other view points.

Green County, Wisconsin

I'd tend to agree that towing probably isn't a good choice. It is really very easy to put 800 pounds into a trailer before you've even realized that you are anywhere near that heavy, so you're likely going to end up being near the max recommended weight.

If you were moving to say Oklahoma City or Kansas City, where you were going to be on the road for at most a day, and in pretty flat country I'd think about going that route, but because you're going to be dealing with the teeth of the Rockies and and is going to take at least 4 days, that's a lot of work to put on your CRV.

Default Me, too

I would not want to tow anything meaningful in weight with a small vehicle w/ an automatic transmission.

It may be a moot point, as U-Haul typically has strictly enforced rules about the towing vehicle and its towing rating, which U-Haul itself has various tables for, right down to the engine displacement and options on particular vehicles. If the trailer + load are > than their table says, they won't rent to you, period.

Even if U-Haul has approved your plan, if there are other reasonable options, I'd take them. Towing isn't much fun, and towing heavy (relative to the car's weight), is drudgery.

6. Default

Thanks glc, Midwest Michael & Foy. I am canceling the towing idea. What do you think about the trip route? Any suggestions?

Default A matter of preference

Hello lizm,

From glc's attachment, it seems as though you may not be able to get through Yellowstone in order to access Butte without going way back around to I-90 in the vicinity of Red Lodge or even Billings, MT.

Be that as is may, and since you endeavor to make a Road Trip out of your move, my personal preference would be travel off of the Interstates to a greater degree. I would probably get off of I-70 at Oakley, KS thence north on US 83 across Kansas and into Nebraska. By the time you cross I-80 in Nebraska, you're in the Nebraska Sandhills, and US 83 bisects the Sandhills all the way to Valentine, NE. Staying on US 83 to Murdo, SD and turning west on I-90 then brings you to Rapid City, SD.

If it turns out you CAN get through Yellowstone to the Butte side, I'd leave Yellowstone NP at West Yellowstone, MT on US 287 and pass by Hebgen Lake and Quake Lake, through Ennis and Norris, over I-90, to Helena. Staying on US 287 north of Helena takes you through the lovely little town of Augusta, then US 287 ends at Choteau. US 89 north from Choteau takes you through Browning and along the east border of Glacier NP to the CDN border north of St Mary.

8. Default

Thanks Foy. That's a good suggestion. Will try to do that. Will get back to you when its time to move.