Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 3-4 days in and around Las Vegas

We are heading out to Las Vegas for a week and intend to rent a car. We have tickets to see a show in Vegas and approximately 4 days to do sightseeing in and around Vegas. I am wondering how much time folks think we should plan on to see Zion and Bryce? We also plan to make a side trip to the Hoover Dam.

Thanks,

Default Day trips ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Are you referring to day trips from Vegas or a 4 day sight seeing trip away from Vegas ?

Take a look here for day trip info, but if you are doing a 4 day trip you could head to Zion NP, Bryce and then down through Page to the Grand canyon South rim and back to Vegas via Hoover dam.

3. Default

Not necessarily, we figured we could find a place to stay near Zion and see Zion and Bryce. How long do you think we would need if we did as you noted? Las Vegas, Zion, Bryce and Grand Canyon South? Is that too much for 3-4 days? We will have our girls, 14 and 11 with us and want to keep it interesting enough.

Thanks,

You would need 4 days to include Bryce [well worth it] as 3 would be too rushed really. I would stay a night in Zion and up until lunchtime or a little later next day to do some sight seeing/walking and then head to Bryce for night 2. You could then head for Grand canyon on day 3 and do some sight seeing day 3 and 4 in the morning and back to Vegas with a stop at Hoover dam. You could make it to Bryce late on Day 1 with an early start from Vegas but it would leave you short on quality in Zion, a fabulous NP. Plenty to keep it 'interesting' and the scenery is incredible, it will keep you on the go squeezing it into 4 days but is certainly doable.

5. Default

Thanks, this is really helpful.

Dave,

I'm planning a similar trip this September hopefully, but I should have a fifth day to work with. I saw on one of your other posts that a detour to Monument Valley is a possibility. I really wanted to take a longer trip to go through Moab, and then down through MV to the GC, but I won't have time to do it. So, I'm looking at the traditional loop of LV, Zion, Bryce, GC, Hoover, and back to LV. How much time would it take for a decent trip out to MV, and if necessary, would you skip Bryce for MV? It will just be the wife and I, no kids to drag along.

Thanks
    Andy

Hi Andy,

Both, Bryce and MV are quite amazing and it is a personal opinion, but I wouldn't skip Bryce ! However with 5 days you can do both quite comfortably. Days 1 and 2, I would spend in Zion and head to Bryce after lunch on day 2. Day 3 you could go to MV and stay in Gouldings lodge MV, Kayenta or make your way back to Cameron Trading post that is the closest lodging to the East entrance of the South rim on AZ64. AZ64 is known as Desert view drive as you enter the canyon and it has many viewpoints to the village area, including the first at the Watchtower that has wide open views of the Colorado river below. That will give you at least 2 half day's [4 and 5] to enjoy the canyon and make your way back to to Vegas via Hoover dam. You could 'treat' yourself to a stay in the Grand canyon village, or make your way out the South entrance to Tusayan or Williams, possibly Flagstaff. Staying in the NP would be more convenient for looking around on the morning of day 5.

There are Lot's of ways to go about it, depending on where you want to prioritise your time. Another alternative to consider between Bryce and Monument valley would be to drive along Utah scenic 12 to Torrey and then past Capitol Reef on UT24 through Hanksville to UT 9. Turn South on UT261 and down the Moki Dugway [you can enter the 'Moki dugway' in the search box for more info] to US 163 into Monument valley. A long day on 2 lane roads, but boy what a drive. It will stay in your memory just a much as the great National parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    ... A long day on 2 lane roads, but boy what a drive. It will stay in your memory just a much as the great National parks.
    I would have to second that. Unforgetable!

past Capitol Reef on UT24 through Hanksville to UT 9
    That would be 95, not 9.

Default Where did that go ?

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    That would be 95, not 9.
    Yep, I must have dropped the '5' somewhere between here and there !